I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making foam cores
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 08:26AM

I've been reading a lot of searched questions and it really doesn't seem very popular to pour your own foam cores these days or everyone just knows how to do it but me. It seems relatively easy but what I'm looking for is mold ideas. How hard is it to make a silicone mold? What type of mold release agents are you using? What type of material for the mandrals (aluminum or steel)
I am going to attempt using pvc and I'm quite excited for the learning process I just wish there was someone to mentor.
Thanks as always, Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making foam cores
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2019 09:55AM

One of the several RodMaker articles on molding these cores used nothing more than a metal baking tray. Holes were bored for insertion of 4 steel mandrels. You poured the urethane in, allowed it to cure, slid the mandrels out, popped the urethane foam "cake" out and ripped 4 turning squares by cutting on a bandsaw or even by hand. Not at all hard to do.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 12:29PM

First off I've never done this so take that for what it's worth. Makelure.com has video on how to make silicone molds for lures. I would think the application is the same. Good luck!

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.gold.air-pipe.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 05:01PM

I have seen PVC pipe used to house the RTV silicone mold, and PVC caps on each end, to center the mandrels. I would think that a sanded dowel covered in mold release would work for making the mold inside this system.. With care, the mandrel hole could be centered pretty well. There a lot of details I am missing, but could be figured out without too much difficulty, I think.

What is a good foam to use for the cores?

I need a core at this moment.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 06:26PM

Consider purchasing discounted cork grips and using them for your core.....They are already shaped and when on sale are cheaper and much easier to use than making foam cores. .I've used them in the past and have had no issues........

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 12:22AM

Unless you intend to make a fairly large number of cores, sourcing already made ones is a better choice, Numerous sources and sizes as well as densities, also economical.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 11:01AM

hi Sandy..have you ever tried using EVA for coring these type grips..i thought about trying but can,t seem to learn to like real glossy grips..glossy blanks are more than enough for me...i,m just curious if anyone tried eva.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2019 11:19AM

The foam core, not the carbon skin, is the "magic" behind these grips. Unless you're only looking for aesthetics.

Date: February 19, 2019 12:49PM

hi Tom..i guess the magic is the weight..i never handled one, so i can,t really say from experience..Sandy mentioned cork grips for a core and i was just wondering if she tried EVA..i,ve handled lots of eva..lol.

Posted by: Chris Harban (208.81.157.---)
Date: February 19, 2019 01:48PM

Yep, the foam is important.

Cork is a good damping material. And it is heavier.

Date: February 19, 2019 07:57PM

is the foam core grip lighter than cork by much after being lathered up with epoxy and covered with a skin? and i think EVA is lighter than cork, i,m not sure of that though.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 08:48PM

Yes it is. Most Carbon fiber foam core grips are a bit lighter than cork. This will vary with the density of the foam used. Most grips are made with foam having a density of 6 to 8 lbs per cubic foot. You can make your own foam cores using foam products from United Composites, Fibre Glast, or Aluminite.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster