I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Geeks painted rods
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: February 17, 2019 10:45AM

Any special things to be concerned about in getting a St Croix blank painted? Does it add an appreciable amount of weight to a rod that is being designed to be light weight? Any other concerns?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Geeks painted rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2019 10:47AM

It does add weight, but that weight is spread out along the entire blank length so while it will have some impact on rod performance, it won't be as drastic as you might imagine.

Over the years it has become apparent to many blank makers, that most rod builders and fishermen are willing to sacrifice some very small amount of performance for aesthetics.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 01:55PM

One of the RodGeeks blanks that i picked up at last years Expo was unpainted and it's finish is super smooth and looks beautiful . I also picked up a White colored RodGeeks blank and to be totally honest the difference between the painted one and unpainted one is nearly undetectable , every other blank manufacturer where i have compared the unfinished blank to the painted blank had a much more noticeable weight difference .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 01:57PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: February 17, 2019 02:48PM

Does RodGeeks offer the St Croix blanks unfinished, or only in the St Croix stock colors (or painted by RodGeeks).

Date: February 17, 2019 03:00PM

RodGeeks blanks are St.Croix blanks but if you mean the labeled St.Croix blanks in the SCV material i don't know , the RodGeeks website should tell you whats available. RodGeeks offers a lot more color options than St. Croix does , most everything listed can come either finished or unfinished.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 04:15PM

Contact them on Monday, they are more than willing to help answer your questions

Posted by: Daren Molina (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 09:21PM

I just got a fiberglass rodgeeks 7ft blank for a casting rod I’m building. I got it in their seafoam green color and it looks great. Has a nice action to it.

Date: February 17, 2019 09:48PM

Daren Molina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just got a fiberglass rodgeeks 7ft blank for a
> casting rod I’m building. I got it in their
> seafoam green color and it looks great. Has a
> nice action to it.

Many say they're much lighter than what one would think a fiberglass blank would be , SC II carbon being a part of the butt section make that possible.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 12:00AM

Bob Ginther Wrote:
> Does RodGeeks offer the St Croix blanks
> unfinished, or only in the St Croix stock colors
> (or painted by RodGeeks).

You can order any blank you want from them unfinished/ unpainted. I bought a good number of the S glass and others in unfinished and they looked great. I couldn't see much difference in weight either.

Tom

Posted by: Tyler Swoboda (---.sub-174-219-2.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 10:34AM

Tom,

What color are the unpainted/unfinished s-glass blanks?

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:17PM

Just got my carbon 4 rod from rod geeks unpainted and it's a smooth charcoal gray color, very nice looking rod..

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:40PM

Tyler Swoboda Wrote:
> Tom,
>
> What color are the unpainted/unfinished s-glass
> blanks?

The S Glass look likes graphite. Very nice finish .

Tom

Posted by: Tyler Swoboda (209.63.30.---)
Date: February 18, 2019 06:20PM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:

>
>
> The S Glass look likes graphite. Very nice finish
> .
>
> Tom

Thank you, Sir!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 08:28PM

You can order any blank unfinished. I should mention that there is no charge for a blank to be clear coated, like the St Croix rods in the stores.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster