I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

United Composites Rod Blanks
Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 09:30AM

Anyone have any experience with these rod blanks? Also known as Graphite USA aka GUSA dual helix rod blanks.

Made in the USA, reasonably priced, good warranty. I'm wondering if they could be a good replacement for the SCII or SCIII blanks I used to build rods on?

Any input and/ or experience with these? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: United Composites Rod Blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 10:38AM

I've used quite a few of them, they are small diameter heavy wall blanks, but many are that way now, so I'm not so sure there is the small weight disparity there used to be in the lighter powered blanks. They have had saltwater grahite rods that survive the worst you can throw at them for maybe 4 decades.
Back in the earlier days they had blanks on the ground for you to have fun stomp and jump on, and photos of the full sized Bronco driving over their blanks.
Have you seen the Charkbait videos on Youtube? They may help you some. Their 711 swimbait rods are very nice and very versatile, I'm going to get some of those blanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 10:51AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2019 10:45AM

They were good blanks. I still have a few. nicely finished. I think they stopped production back in the early 2000's.

Date: February 17, 2019 11:07AM

You can still get all the freshwater and saltwater blanks, along with the new blank designs from the Australian market.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 01:46PM

As many are aware most of the RodGeeks blanks are SC II St.Croix blanks , they don't offer SC III blanks at this time but if there is a demand they will . SC II , SC IV and St. Croix labeled blanks in the SC V are offered by RodGeeks at this time. Their S glass models are ridiculously popular .

Spencers comment below terrifies me lol.

" They are small diameter heavy wall blanks, but many are that way now, so I'm not so sure there is the small weight disparity there used to be in the lighter powered blanks. They have had saltwater grahite rods that survive the worst you can throw at them for maybe 4 decades"

It's extremely unfortunate that some manufacturers have decided to start manufacturing small diameter thicker walled graphite blanks and the reason they have went in this direction is because there are still thousands of anglers who still don't have a clue how to handle , treat, fish and transport these super high performance fishing tools .

Manufacturers may claim they're still high performance and i'm sure many are quite good but logic, basic common sense & one on one comparisons prove otherwise. Any graphite blank that is said to be exceptionally durable & can take a beating tells me to stay as far away as possible lol.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2019 01:59PM

Rod ; United Composites is now owned by Randy Penny. Randy was the shop foreman and blank designer at Seeker in the past. He has owned United Composites for several years now and is producing excellent blanks. Many are new designs. I would suggest you give them a call and ask which of their blanks fits your needs.

Posted by: David Miller (---.northstate.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 02:17PM

United Composites UC 703 at 10-17lb line 1/4-3/4 oz lure 5 tip .55 butt 2oz weight on paper looks very similar to St Croix SCIII 70mf in butt and weight specs. Everything else is subjective though such as action and line. This is where CCS measurements would come in really handy.

Date: February 23, 2019 10:53AM

i own 4 of their fly rods, 1 trout rod, 5 various power bass rods, and 2 saltwater rods, all have been great, durable rods.
The fly rods are pretty much my go to rods for fly ins to Alaska, etc. if a rod can't take banging around in the bottom of the boat with other rods, taking an occasional fly strike, used to fend off attacking terns, and brush popping, it is of little use broken over 300 mile from the closest tackle store let alone fly shop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster