I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions on choosing blank length
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: February 16, 2019 06:09PM

I am researching my first build. Glad I found this site! i am looking for detailed information on what criteria to consider in choosing blank length. I don't have a specific rod or use in mind yet. I am just looking for the general info to be considered for all rods. As you all know there are a gazillion blanks out there. For example, if I am looking to build a spinning rod for walleye jig fishing 1/8 to 3/8 jigs, 6 to 10 lb test, I can find many blanks of interest that fit the lure weight range and line test range, and desired power and action. But when I am looking at a group of blanks that all have similar statistics except for they come in different lengths in increments of 3" to 6", etc., , how do I choose the proper length?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on choosing blank length
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 06:40PM

If you really don't have a clue about length take the reel you plan on using and go to a tackle shop or similar store that has a bunch of rods and see how the different lengths with the reel attached feel to you. I personally like longer length rods because i find them superior casting tools , even between a 7 -71/2 foot blank compared to an 8 footer the eight footer to me makes a huge difference and every blank i have is no shorter than 8 feet for that very reason.

Where you fish can be a deciding factor , overhead branches tight quarters then go shorter , in a boat most go shorter as the need to cast far isn't as big a factor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 06:48PM

Bob,
Easy.
For walleye jig fishing the length that is used by the majority of walleye fisherman is a 6', 6'3", or 6'6".

If vertical jigging a shorter rod is normally used - like a 6' rod.

If casting or lobbing a jig, then a 6'6" is a good candidate.

For live bait fishing like lindy rigging the typical rod is either 7' or 7'6".

I have rods ranging in length from 4 feet to 10 feet.
But, my go to rod, if it is only one rod for walleye jig fishing will be a 6'6" m-l power with fast action.
If vertical fishing the river, it will be a 6'3" rod in medium power with extra fast action.
If live bait fishing, it will be a 7'6" m-l power with moderate action.

Best wishes

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 07:44PM

Any length between 6'3" to 7' m-l and you will be a happy camper.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 08:46PM

First you start with the type, fly, spin, cast, the the species being sought, trout, bass, tuna, etc. Thus narrowed down, you determine the lure being cast (fly, spinner, worm, etc.) then the conditions, stream, salt water, lake, etc. when you have this information, you have it where there are reasonable choices that are commonly used. After that, it is personal choice.

I have tried to respond to an almost unanswerable question, probably not well.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 07:45AM

Build two. One cannot have too many rods. 6-6 ML fast and 7-0 to 7-6 ML fast and see what you like best. For your application I like a rod about 7 feet long. One thing to keep in mind when you go longer is that it will be harder if not impossible to get decent balance, and the rod may feel heavy. You will be fishing most of the time with a horizontal rod positioni, I believe, which makes balance a little more important than if you are fishing with a more vertical rod position

Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 09:02AM

I think Roger and Michael hit the bullseye. My go to jigging rod for walleye is a 6'3" rod. For pitching cranks, slip bobbers, spoons, etc is a 7' rod. Most jigging rods I sell are 6"-6'6" rods.
Build two - one 6' - 6'6" for jigs, etc then another 6'6" - 7'2" for the rest of it.
Good Luck!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 10:17AM

Bob,
One aspect wasn't mentioned specifically and should be, presentation, without proper presentation you don't catch fish. On a walleye rod for instance I'm a big fan of the 6 ft. rods, when you make your jigging motion your hand moves a certain distance and than that distance is amplified by the distance the rod tip is away from the hand, to much movement is just as bad as none at all, shorter rods the same power are lighter, balance better, and all things being equal more sensitive.
Let's now go the other direction, steelhead fishing by in large is done in current, trying to get your presentation to move naturally at current speed. Like other fish 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water, so you have to be able to put your offering while bank fishing in a seam on the other side of another current seam, eddy, or just a flat of shallow water. No matter what it is, the line will fish much better and catch more fish if it's not being affected by the current, if less of it is in the water, just like fly fishing you want no line drag. Here longer rods, to a point, make more sense in presenting your offering correctly, again weight, balance, sensitivity, etc. is affected, but what is most important? Getting the bite in the first place.
The first thing I think of is presentation. It could be water depth and therefore heavier weights needed and heavier gear, or a thosand other things.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2019 06:45PM

There are so many parameters involved in choosing rod length, that without knowing more specifics, it's hard to make a suggestion. With that said, I think Phil and Spencer have given the important starting points. As far as which parameter I feel should be considered first, since the same presentation can be used to target multiple species, I'd tend to lean more towards Spencer's mention of presentation as the first thing I'd consider when choosing rod length.

About the only thing that I would say is a certainty about rod length choice is, if you're making long or longer horizontal casts, then a longer rod is better. Not just because a longer rod is easier to make those types of casts with, but also and I think of equal importance is, a longer rod moves more line on the hook set. The more line you have out horizontally, the more line you have to move to set the hook.

Other than that, It really depends on what you need and want the rod to do.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 09:12AM

Something to consider in making a decision. Is the rod you are currently using too short? Is the rod possibly too long? Others can make suggestions about what they like or use, which is great. But remember, the beauty of building custom rods, is you build the length that suits your style of fishing.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster