I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rod/guide advice needed please.
Posted by: Trent Osborn (---.sssnet.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 02:36PM

I’m currently putting together my first rod and have the tip-top on and the cork and reel seat glued into place and now it’s time for the guides. It’s a 7’6”, 4 weight epic blank and I really like the way underwraps look and I know it’s a lot for such a short rod and really doesn’t add anything except aesthetics but when it’s your first rod you kinda wanna try new things. My question is if I could use a piece of vinyl for the underwrap like fake carbon fiber or any vinyl really then put guides on and wrap tread up the guides and epoxy it all in place? Seems like a much easier way of doing an underwrap but maybe some have tried and it doesn’t work for some unforeseen reason. Anyway thank you in advance for any help or insight from a very inexperienced rod builder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rod/guide advice needed please.
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 03:39PM

Trent

All sorts things you could use, but . . .

I'd be concerned that vinyl or anything similar would not permit the epoxy finish to penetrate to the blank. Yes, the epoxy would lock the wraps to the vinyl, but what about the vinyl to the blank?

Instead of under wraps, have you thought about trim bands or inlaid turns? Trim bands, inlaid turns, etc. will "dress up" the rod without the weight penalty of under wraps, which are frankly out of place on a fly rod until you get to the really heavy salt water weights. Or may you go in the other direction and make transparent / clear wraps with or without single turn opaque inlays.

It's your rod and you do what pleases you and your eye. Just remember the rod has got to be sound and functional for the purpose intended before aesthetics become important.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 03:44PM

I am guessing you wanted a fast glass fly rod by buying an Epic, why do you want to slow it down with slower recovery by adding unnecessary weight?

If you want fancy maybe keep it lower at the stripper guide and at the signature area in front of the cork to have the extra weight lower down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 03:46PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 04:16PM

As mentioned above, adding under wraps on a light weight (4wt) fly rod is out of place, both visually and performance wise! Look around, you will be hard pressed to find any with under wraps. They are primarily used on heavier weight rods, especially for salt water.

If you are wishing to have some bling, trim bands can be done in more than a single color.

Also as mentioned, wrapping on top of a vinyl or any barrier precludes adhering the gude to the blank.

Posted by: Trent Osborn (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 04:32PM

THANK YOU!!!! for all the advice as these are things I haven’t really thought about. Being my first build I’ve followed a lot of posts on this site so I figured I’d ask because everyone seems very knowledgeable. I genuinely appreciate everyone’s input and will probably just do some trim bands and leave it at that.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 05:38PM

Check out the rod pictures page on fiberglassflyrodders forum.There are some very talented builders of fiberglass fly rods around the world that post pics on there. They have inspired me on the builds I am doing now for sure.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 12:51AM

Trent,
If you're looking at just having the pattern between the wraps on a snake guide I think it might be possible. It will take some careful measuring and a trim band on the inside to hide your edge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster