I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7'6-7'9 flipping blank Heavy
Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 06:59PM

Looking for a heavy power flipping blank say 3/8-1 1/2 oz but in moderate day action

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7'6-7'9 flipping blank Heavy
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 07:37PM

Chris,

Several years ago I built myself a flipping stick on a St. Croix SC IV blank. I see from the St. Croix web page that Rodgeeks are now building the former St. Croix blanks. I really like the SC IV flipping stick I built and, as I recall, it matches the specification you indicated in your post.

Check out the Rodgeeks Carbon 4 model # C47HMF: Length; 7'11", Power; Heavy, Action: Mof Fast, Line Wt: 14-30 lb, Lure Wt: 1/2 - 2 oz, Tip Size: 6.5, Butt 0.564" Weight: 3.30 oz, Price $115.00, (Copied from Rodgeeks web page).

Here's the link

[rodgeeks.com]

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 07:38PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 10:53PM

Chris,
I’ve been down this road a few times, to say the least. The best I’ve found are no longer for sale. Try and find an original, one piece Fenwick Flip stick ( s-glass), also Shikari FS764 . Buy them, strip and rebuild for your self . I have a few of these , but being saved for grandsons. If you find any extras, let me know.
Rich

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 09:14AM

I maybe going the MHX route

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 11:09AM

Rich, What's your opinion of an ATC ll FS764 7'6" 1pc 12-25 line 1/4-1oz .590 butt 6.5 tip med (this is not an American Tackle Co.blank)

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 10:08PM

Dennis,
My specs for the Shikari blank is .600 and a 6.5 tip, otherwise, same specs.

Date: February 16, 2019 11:37PM

Spenc, I just copied the info ,I don't know if it's correct from ADVANCED TUBULAR COMPOSITES.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 17, 2019 01:57PM

Dennis, could be just fine. I have gone through so many blanks I found none that matched those 2 in how they fish. Here is what I know works for me and high level pros for a flip stick. Low modular, not high, bends in the middle, not tip, one piece if possible.
If you need more sensitivity, use braid and the FG knot to fluorocarbon. It is hard to describe the joy when Flippin’ or pitchin’ with the old original one piece s-glass or the FS764 or FS804 Shikari. I stopped looking for better or equals some time ago, getting too old I guess, it’s up to you young ones now.
Rich

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 05:06PM

i have two of the fenwick glass flip sticks but they are telescopic and i don,t remember if they were S glass unless they were all S-glass..anybody know..

Date: February 17, 2019 07:52PM

Somebody does know, they were all s-glass, talked with Dave Meyer a long time ago. Now why can’t I remember what I did last week ?
Those glass Flip Rods are heavy, when you flip with them, always transition your left hand up the rod for balance and a brutal hook set. Pinch the line and at the end of the flip, 3 fingers under the rod. Never get caught with the line in your left hand away from the rod at the end of a flip. Dee Thomas gave away the technique and rod to the sport, but not all the tips for competition. Enjoy.

Date: February 17, 2019 09:01PM

hi Rich..i couldn,t agree more..since we are giving tips on flipping here is my best one..the power for the flip comes from the left hand more specificly from the left thumb and nail working together to make an underhanded haul like in fly fishing to shoot the lure..this is the only way to flip from a belly boat..lol.

Date: February 18, 2019 12:18AM

Richard, Thank you for your insight of the dynamics on what a flippin blank should resemble.I agree, the tip section needs a lot of power to set the hook and pull it out of the heavy cover and also cast control.
I have a FS764 (ATCll) on order to build up for myself , I just hope its what I'm expecting.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 12:57AM

Guess I have one of the original Fenwick, due to the weight and no makings showing it was S-glass I thought it was E--glass. Fenwick 775 Flippin'Stik, 8 3/8oz. 3/8-2 oz. lure wt. 15-30 lb. Line. Everything but the blank was well used and need of replacement. Feels a lot like other Fenwick saltwater blanks. It's one piece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 01:11AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: February 18, 2019 07:29AM

when fenwick first came out with flipping rods were they one piece then later made the telescopic rod? thank you Rich for the info about them being S-glass.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 08:32AM

MHX has a well rounded selection of Flippin & Punchin rod blanks that get it done! -- [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:21PM

Check out the Rainshadow REVFS76, REVC710H, REVC711XXH or the REVSB710 blanks.. Cant go wrong with any of them..
We are the largest supplier of blanks in the country for a reason.. over 500 models to choose from..

Date: February 19, 2019 01:23AM

Had to settle for a FS 664 due to "last of stock" but I will extend it by 12" which will become 7'6".

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster