I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Has anyone left the graphite blank naked with no finish?
Posted by: Daniel Kerr (204.145.118.---)
Date: February 15, 2019 04:37PM

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to rod building so all my rods that I built myself are fairly new but all my store bought rods have their finishes coming off one way or another. I stripped one all the way down to the reel seat and down to the raw graphite. What I'm wondering is can I just leave it that way or should I put finish or paint on it? I fish ALOT and in Florida saltwater but it seems to me that graphite should not be affected by the salt or the sun. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone left the graphite blank naked with no finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2019 05:16PM

You can certainly leave it bare, give it a little buffing and then coat it with some wax. It will be fine and actually gives you the highest stiffness to weight ratio.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 05:28PM

Many prefer no paint or other coatings on their blanks and i am one of them , i have a few blanks that i ordered raw with no coatings of any kind and i have the same blanks painted by the factory , i was very surprised just how much more the blank that was painted felt to me when comparing both . Uncoated blanks are perfectly fine and the elements will not harm it in any way . As Tom said a Carnauba based wax is advisable , if the blank has minor scratches a "Cleaner wax" could help but avoid the cleaner/wax types and just go with regular wax without the cleaner if the blanks are glossy without scratches .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 05:50PM

Manufacturers have been selling that way for a good long time, my Loomis GLX rods are over 20 years old and still fine.

Posted by: Daniel Kerr (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 06:42PM

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 06:51PM

I have built a lot of rods, with 0 finish on the blank.
I finish the blank by doing a final wet and dry sand with 600 grit paper and go build the rod. I do 0 maintenance or finish on the rod blank, except to wipe off the scales of the fish from the bait that I use and the fish that I catch.
Nothing of any sort is every required on the raw graphite or fiberglass.

For wet sanding, just use a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 1/2 way with warm water and go to town with wet and dry. Start with coarser paper and finish off with fine paper.

Good luck

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: February 16, 2019 07:05PM

Assuming you have a blank that is uncoated, what product would you use to coat it? And would you coat the whole blank? Would this just be for aesthetics?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 09:19PM

wax

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 10:19PM

Bob,
Others may have different opinions, but for me any finish is just for aesthetics.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: February 17, 2019 09:46AM

I guess what I am wondering is do some builders put some type of epoxy or other clear coat finish on the entire blank?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 10:28AM

If you want to put a clear coat on the entire blank wipe on Permagloss. It is extremely light, hard, and durable. Never use finish epoxy to coat an entire blank, it is much heavier, not as durable, and harder to apply. Do a search here on how to apply it.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 17, 2019 01:25PM

Bob Ginther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
" I guess what I am wondering is do some builders put some type of epoxy or other clear coat finish on the entire blank"

Most do not put anything on an unfinished blank , it's not needed and and a blank will perform to it's max potential WITHOUT any finish or coating of any kind applied.

If you must apply something then what Norm recommended is the way to go but most leave the blank alone and add nothing .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster