I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Med light or light surf rod blank suggestions
Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2019 11:15PM

I'm looking for a blank to be used for surf perch on the Oregon coast. Ideally I like to fish lighter tackle. I plan on a spinning setup with 30lb braid. Typically I fish 2 oz. Of lead. I would like a longer rod, but so far I'm liking the sounds of the rainshadow su1246 which is a ML, but I would like a little longer. I see PacBay has a medium power but my fear is it may not be sensitive enough. Black hole has 10'er that's a light action and intriguing also. Anyone know of any 11' - 13' light to med-light capable of casting 2, 3 or maybe 4 oz? Anyways, any input would be great.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Med light or light surf rod blank suggestions
Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 06:24AM

Anglers Workshop has a 11’6” 1-3 oz surf blank in their private label line made in the USA by Talon. Casting 4 oz might be pushing it though.

Date: February 15, 2019 08:21AM

Hey that looks good also. Did you notice they have 14'8" ML with the same specs? If it's not a typo, the 14'8" rods are insanely light weight. Is it a typo? Anyone ever feel one of these blanks?

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-174-193-158.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 09:23AM

Is that on the Talon website Derek? I know Talon is known for making surf blanks ideal for Westcoast or long distance with light casting weights.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 10:21AM

It's on Anglers workshop website. When you click surf blanks, 2 icon's some up. The other being float and multipurpose blanks and that is where the 14'8" rods are.

And that's just it, PNW surf fishing is more of a light tackle affair compared to the Southeast. We don't need medium rods capable of casting 6+oz.

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-174-194-3.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 11:58AM

Those float blanks are going to be much different in action and power to the surf blanks.

Date: February 15, 2019 01:42PM

Yes. You are probably right. The 11'6 may be the right choice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: February 15, 2019 02:23PM

Did you look at the Mirapachi blanks at Talon? Designed for fishing off reefs. You don't need heavy gear a mid heavy steelhead rod, or similar power rod is all you need. I use 20 lb braid. You're not casting that far, the fish are in the surf. Some use even lighter stuff than me.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.sub-174-224-1.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 12:55AM

Thanks for these tips guys. I didn't even know about Talon. I can't believe how light some of their blanks are. I went from not enough options, to not being able to make up my mind.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:23PM

Check out the NEW Rainshadow Surf blanks.. REVSU>> 6 models to choose from..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster