I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken rod
Posted by: Mark Brown (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: February 12, 2019 04:43PM

Going to try my first repair. Rod is a 2 piece, slow pitch jigging rod, broke near the handle. Pics uploaded, link below. Costs too much to have rod replaced with warranty. I plan to use a scrap graphite blank of similar diameter for the sleeve (I do not have fiberglass blanks around). Should I approach this by taking the butt cap off or making a clean cut where damaged. I don't think there is a taper at the handle now that I'm thinking of it. So would i build an arbor on the tapered part of the rod to get a good fit with the second piece? It will have very little load or bend at this portion of the rod as the handle is above the break. I've been reading through some of the posts on this issue including the article on rod repair in the forum but still not sure of the approach. Suggestions welcome. Thanks, Mark.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2019 05:38PM

If you use a carbon sleeve you will have an overly stiff spot at the repair. The larger diameter of the sleeve will create more stiffness than the small diameter of the rod blank.

If you are talking about an inner sleeve, carbon will be fine. It should have thicker walls than the blank area you are repairing.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 06:33PM

" It will have very little load or bend at this portion of the rod as the handle is above the break. " It is my opinion that for a break in this region of the rod, a graphite sleeve will work just fine. But you can buy woven glass tubes on line if you want to do it the purest way. The difference because of the location on the rod will be undetectable. Theoretically it will move the balance point rearward, less so with graphite, but still, IMHO, undetectable.

I couldn't get a look at the photo. Please check it out.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 06:44PM

I would also do an internal plug repair. Find a blank piece of a similar taper that will fit snuggly into the tip section of the broken rod for several inches. Once you find a piece that fits,take off the butt cap a push this plug into the butt unti it protrudes from the broken area, and now see if the the tip section will still fit snugly and butt up against the end of the butt piece, if it doesn’t you may have to trim and sand a little here and there until you get a snug fit. Then glue in place with a few inches of overlap in each section. I like to wrap the repaired section just to make sure that no splitting will occur. Good luck.
Norm

Date: February 12, 2019 06:50PM

That's how you do it.

Posted by: Mark Brown (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 08:10PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. You guys are always so helpful .Some reason I can not find the pics I uploaded. Anyway, Blank at the handle is not tapered and measures roughly 0.41 inches in diameter. I was thinking whatever plug I used would be tapered and thus present a problem. I'll search elsewhere for a scrap w little to no taper but think I got it.

Posted by: Mark Brown (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 08:28PM

So a woven glass tube to just fit snug inside the blank would be good bet?

Date: February 12, 2019 08:39PM

If you're going inside, use carbon.

Posted by: Mark Brown (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 10:45PM

Yes. Going to go inside. Took the but cap off, and inside of blank filled with hardened glue. Is there a trick getting this out without fracturing blank or Do I trim the blank back a few mm ? Thanks again, -Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 10:56PM by Mark Brown.

Date: February 12, 2019 11:29PM

Heat the glue plug with a heat gun or even a hair dryer. Take a drill bit drill into the glue plug and when it heats up pull it out. Heat will soften the glue and you be able to work it out. Since the butt section is short, you could push the plug out using a piece of rod blank coming from the break end. You'll get it out just don't force anything.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 11:37PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: February 13, 2019 01:32AM

I have nothing to add to the previous, qualified replies other than making certain the taper, or apparently in this case lack thereof, is precise. You’ll be fine. Fix it, fish it!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 13, 2019 09:01AM

You guys are the BEST!! That's a great suggestion Norm. Will tackle it tonight. Thanks

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: February 13, 2019 02:20PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " It will have very little load or bend at this
> portion of the rod as the handle is above the
> break. " It is my opinion that for a break in
> this region of the rod, a graphite sleeve will
> work just fine. But you can buy woven glass tubes
> on line if you want to do it the purest way. The
> difference because of the location on the rod will
> be undetectable. Theoretically it will move the
> balance point rearward, less so with graphite, but
> still, IMHO, undetectable.
>
> I couldn't get a look at the photo. Please check
> it out.

Can you elaborate on these woven glass tubes and where to get them?

Date: February 14, 2019 10:45AM

Heat gun to the glue plug worked great. Thanks Norm. Now working on a scrap graphite blank to suit as the inner plug. Absence of a taper in the handle a little tricky since all the scraps I have are tapered. I think I got it though. Will get back to work tonight. Thanks everybody.

Date: February 14, 2019 10:54AM

Happy to hear that! Good luck with the repair.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2019 05:16PM

For a rod like you are repairing, I would use a piece of solid fiberglass on the inside of the rod of the appropriate size and taper as needed.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster