I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hitena Thread Epoxy-First Impressions
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2019 12:55PM

I finally took the opportunity to try the thread epoxy on a new rod build. And I have no affiliation with Hitena or any of their distributors.

There is no need to even use the epoxy before you can recognize some pluses. In the 4oz packaging (2+2), the top is capped with a pre-drilled needle nosed type dispenser. The caps are color coded, black for hardener and white for resin. The hardener has a slight amber cast so there should be no reason to mix up the two.

I use small, chef style spoons for measuring the epoxy and the diameter of the pre-drilled cap holes allow the epoxy to flow smoothly from the bottle making measuring very accurate. I also tried a slightly new method of mixing utilizing a metal cup purchased from Mudhole as opposed to my normal method of a shot glass for mixing. This allowed me to both mix and let the epoxy spread out similar to pouring onto a piece of aluminum foil. Mixing in the cup created less bubbles than the shot glass and were easily burst with a couple of breaths through a straw.

The Hitena epoxy consistency seems to be a tad thinner than the Threadmaster regular I have been using for the past few years. But I was working on the butt section of the rod where I normally use multiple light coats to cover decals and decorative thread work. I did cover one of the wraps with a heavier coat and it would again, appear that one heavy coat would be sufficient and no sagging occurred. It also flowed very quickly into the tunnels of the hook keeper that was covered.

Application was done with a brush and there was an absence of bubbling that I have had with other epoxies. I did my straw breathing exercise any way. The rest of the epoxy on the guides will be applied with a spatula. I did not monitor the cure time, I forgot, so my dryer ran for about 12 hours. Today, approximately 24 hours later, the epoxy seems hard as a rock, hyperbole of course, as it should have some flexibility.

The final test will be how the epoxy covers when using a spatula but I suspect no problems will be encountered. I know it may be a little premature, but so far this just might be the best thread epoxy I have used over the past twenty-five years. Disclaimer: actual results may vary.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hitena Thread Epoxy-First Impressions
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: February 11, 2019 03:14PM

I got the sample from hitena, and although im not crazy experienced, i agree that jts a nice epoxy to work with.. I ended up buying some as i prefer it over others ive used.. I used a brush since the start of my obsession.. One day i didnt feel like reaching.. Decided to just use the mixing stick.. Ill never usr a brush again! Atleast with hitena, applying with a spatula (i use a coffee stiring stick) is the way to go

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2019 03:27PM

I also liked the Hitena finish. To me it seemed very similar to Threadmaster.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 11, 2019 04:28PM

24 oz kit for $18.00 is cheaper than others out there and that alone will entice people to try it , most 24 oz kits are in the $24.00 range it sounds like it's definitely worth trying . I decided to wrap my two latest surf rods with their NCP thread and it turned out fantastic , i already had Threadmaster or i would of tried their thread epoxy .

Hitena has a lot of interesting items on their website that no other supplier offers , line conditioners , terminal tackle , high tech braids from Japan etc. Superb customer service & lightning fast shipping .

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2019 07:12PM

I picked up 4 spools of their thread at the fly fishing show in Marlboro in January. Just started using them last night so I don't have much experience but so far so good. THe guy at the show had lots of interesting colors and several sizes. Little more expensive than ProWrap but not enough to worry about.
Quinn

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2019 09:56PM

I really like the Hitena thread and the fly/ jig head boxes are very nice for the $. I will have to try their finish.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 05:22AM

I should have added this before.. There shipping really is fast.. Its coming the furthest away from the few dealers i use.. I can order a day after the others and jts usually here 2-3 days before.. Im my opinion, thats worth a look alone..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster