I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Wrap... How Much is Too Much
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2019 07:57PM

Getting ready to wrap. My guide placement puts a guide close to the ferrule. If I wrap my ferrule as I have in the past then wrap the guide I will have only about a half inch gap between the two. Cannot deice if I should wrap it all as one or leave the gap. If I wrap as one I will have a little over two inches. Other than my visual preference any concern of having that much wrap over the ferrule? As for visual appeal what do you think looks better wrap gap wrap or just one solid wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Wrap... How Much is Too Much
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 08:23PM

I would try to place the guide as close to, (or on top of the ferrule) as possible and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2019 10:03PM

It is the third reduction guide so I am pretty set on the placement. Just don't know if I want a band of thread that large middle of the rod. Just want to make sure there is nothing to think bout other than the look.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 10:04PM

Moving the guide some is the best solution. Then make one wrap.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 10:12PM

Agree 100% with Lynn , if you're going to wrap the ferrule do it for a good reason and a good reason is to place a guide at that location . I used to wrap the ferrules but after reading so many recent comments by blank manufacturers indicating that ferrule wrapping is completely unnecessary and will only add weight i stopped doing it.

I didn't just take their word for it though because i was still not convinced so i called and talked to the blank designers on the phone and again they were adamant that their ferrule technology has become so advanced that there is nothing a builder could add to it afterward that would make a difference whatsoever . They were so confident that a split/crack in that area would never happen that they made it very clear that the blanks are fully warranted against it . After those phone calls i am very happy to say that not only do my rods look much more streamlined in that area now i can also clearly feel the lack of extra weight caused by ferrule wraps halfway up the rod which is such a welcomed difference to me .

Of course there are guys who will always wrap ferrules regardless and thats perfectly fine , by all means enjoy , all i'm saying that for me i'm thrilled that i bought blanks that have made that practice obsolete .

I should make it known that i'm a very anti bling guy regarding fishing rods , i am exceedingly careful and measured regarding keeping weight to an absolute minimum meaning the shortest guide wraps i can get away with , thickest thread i will use is size A for anything , titanium frames , torzite rings etc ... so if a ferrule wrap is not needed i'm very happy to avoid it.

Do what Lynn recommended but if not i would go " Wrap gap wrap" not a solid wrap lol.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2019 10:31PM

Depends on the blank, if it light weight low power and you want to make the build as light as possible move the guide closer to the ferrule. A heavier more powerful rod I would just leave the 1/2 inch gap. Casting performance is more important than aesthetics in my opinion. Another thought is to move the guide further away slightly , in some spinning guide setups it helps to smooth the line flow.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 10:37PM

Incorporate the guide and ferrule wrap then static test it .

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 11:09PM

Make one wrap.
If you have the guide an inch away, just make the wrap and inch and a half.

But, when I do this, if the guide is to be that close, I will put the guide right on the ferrule and just do the typical wrap.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 11:26PM

I'd use one wrap for both, the bit of extra thread and finish is of little consequence on most builds.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 11, 2019 08:51AM

Or, wrap the guide where you think is best, with whatever color you choose,
wrap the ferrule with a color that will blend into the blank color after finishing.
Use some alcohol dabbed on to the ferrule wrap first to mimic how it will look when finish is applied.
Then you can have whatever length ferrule wrap you like,
but not have the visual of that same color as the guides at that ferrule.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: February 11, 2019 09:05PM

Good suggestion Ron! I'm starting a 3pc 7ft. travel rod in a day or two and this topic could not have come up at a better time. It's an MHX blank and do I even have to wrap the ferrules? Might drive me nuts if I don't.

Date: February 11, 2019 10:40PM

Pretty sure with MHX blanks they still recommend wrapping the ferrules , not all blanks manufacturers are on the same page with this stuff.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 08:20AM

i once e-mailed mudhole and asked if my warranty was voided if i didn,t wrap the ferrule on their rods..they said it was still good..

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 09:26AM

I do not take the chance and always make a small ferrule wrap.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 12, 2019 10:28AM

Priorities vary. Some value attractive decoration at the loss of performance, others sacrifice looks for improved performance. A 1/4" wrap next to the mouth of a tip-over-butt ferrule should provide enough strength if not sufficient decoration.

Date: February 12, 2019 11:58AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Priorities vary. Some value attractive decoration
> at the loss of performance, others sacrifice looks
> for improved performance. A 1/4" wrap next to the
> mouth of a tip-over-butt ferrule should provide
> enough strength if not sufficient decoration.

If i was selling rods and building for customers i would continue to wrap the ferrule simply due to the fact that customers expect that area to be wrapped & will question why it's not wrapped . Just wrapping them is far easier than fielding a ton of questions as to why it wasn't . I should have made it clear i was talking about my own personal rods ( Long surf rods) NOT people who are in business selling fishing rods as a business .

I just like the much more blended and streamlined look of no ferrule wraps . If the blank designers i talked to even hinted to me that it would be beneficial in any way i would wrap the ferrule but they made it very clear that their ferrule area is the strongest part of the blank and adding a wrap does absolutely nothing but add additional weight . Most will always wrap them just like most still insist rod spine orientation is critical including the largest rod building supplier in the country , to each their own.

A 1/4 ferrule wrap i don't see as a big deal at all but 99% of ferrule wraps i see are far longer than that just like 99% of the guide wraps i see are far far longer than whats needed to hold guides in place and it's clearly done for aesthetics and thats OK , those things matter to some people much more than to other people .

Date: February 12, 2019 06:22PM

Thanks guys, I will not be driven nuts!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 13, 2019 11:01AM

Wrap the reinforcement wrap as you prefer, but do it with the best match thread for the blank color. And experiment as suggested with alcohol. With some colors without CP the wrap will essentially disappear. Others with CP they will essentially disappear.

I believe the wrap is good insurance. Yes, most blank makers don't require it, but it has to toughen that area against misuse like getting a a crush, or a ferrule coming loose while casting. The weight has to be insignificant if you don't over-do it, keeping the wrap short and the epoxy thin. And you really won't see them unless holding the rod in hand and looking for them.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 13, 2019 06:48PM

i always felt that the thread and epoxy used to make ferrule wraps would best be used to add one or two more running guides..

Date: February 13, 2019 09:41PM

I use as many runners as I deem needed. Ferrule wraps would have no influence on that. (for me)

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster