I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank ?
Posted by: Roger Keck (---.adams.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 02:08PM

Hey guys, just found out today that st croix no longer offers rod blanks for sale. I'm not very happy about this as i was a couple wks away from getting a few of the legend glass rods. Does any one know where i might find some of these. Seems like there might be a few floating around out there. I was looking at the 6"10 models. they made a 6'10 medium moderate and a 6"10 med/hvy. A name and ph# would be of great help also, thanks. Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank ?
Posted by: Eric Oertle (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 04:07PM

St Croix made that decision awhile back. Not sure about specific remaining stock, but Mudhole still shows them. Otherwise I would do a web search for St Croix blanks and try everyone who comes up to see what's left.

Eric Oertle
Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 04:16PM

Try the various suppliers on the left.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2019 04:21PM

Roger, were I you, Rod Geeks would be the first place I'd look. Rod Geeks are St Croix blanks, and they just started carrying the top of the line SCV blanks. My guess is that they may have what you're looking for. It's still a St Croix blank, it just won't have the St Croix name.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 04:53PM

The St Croix blanks that Rodgeeks has are being marketed as ST CROIX blanks, so I think they will in fact have the St Croix labels. They are starting with a limited number, but I expect they will expand their offering since they will be the only sustaining source for St Croix blanks.

The next best option is to go with Rodgeeks Carbon 4 blanks which are equivalent to St Croix SC4. Very good blanks.

Rodgeeks customer service is all one could ask for, IMO.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 05:37PM

RodGeeks just recently put up the models of St. Croix blanks that carry the St.Croix name but so far they're all top line SC V models . Everything else is in actuality St. Croix also but not labeled as such . The specific glass blanks the OP is requesting about are not currently offered in the lengths he indicated but the lengths aren't too far off .

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2019 07:49PM

Aren’t the St Croix crankbait rod blanks made of all glass and the Rod Geeks glass/carbon composites?

Maybe Rod Geeks can order them if the demand is there.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 09, 2019 09:29AM

St Croix has some glass CB rod blanks, but not all are glass.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2019 10:49AM

I meant their Legend Glass that Roger is wanting to buy.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 09, 2019 12:18PM

David Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I meant their Legend Glass that Roger is wanting
> to buy.

After studying the S Glass blanks by RodGeeks & comparing them to the S glass used in the St. Croix Legend Glass models i believe they do indeed have carbon in the lower sections to reduce weight but it's a guess on my part since the specs do not give away that information, but if you were to add the hardware and grips of the fully built Legend S Glass rods & transferred them to the RodGeeks S glass blanks in similar lengths they seem to align with the weights you would expect to see on a fully built Legend S glass rod.

Date: February 09, 2019 01:52PM

After reading all the information and comments, I'll keep looking online for a while. Mud hole only has the 7'2 and 7'11 models and rod geeks has a few 7'0 that look like like they may work. I will just have to cut the butt back a few inches or so. I just really liked the color of the croix blanks. Batson has a few in there judge line up. I was wanting to kinda color coordinate my reels with the blank color, wraps,guides,and soforth. By the way, are the rod geek blank colors and clear coats pretty durable. They have a copper and burnt orange color that looks similar to the criox blanks?Roger

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2019 02:16PM

Yes, the RodGeek paint job is durable.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 12:38PM

I had this exact conversation with the Rod Geeks guys and they told me their blanks are close but not identical. I have both in house right now and yes they are close but not identical. I need to put them on my board and take a comparison pic. The unspecified color from from Rod Geeks is a graphite color similar to any other carbon blank.

Date: February 10, 2019 01:10PM

Have you looked at the MHX S-glass Blanks. I have no idea how they would compare. Need some CCS data to make comparisons.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 11:10PM

Funny you mention those tip and butt they are darn close.. I was just looking at them tonight while waiting for parts to dry on my sc1’s and rod Geeks s glass.

Date: February 11, 2019 11:47AM

I was actually going to ask anybody if they think that the s-glass blanks from mud hole would be an option? I'm just a little unsure of the quality vs. the st criox. Roger

Date: February 11, 2019 12:21PM

I have not used the st Croix S glass or the MHX S glass blanks so I don’t know how they compare. I have used a lot of MHX blanks and they are of high quality and represent a great value. In addition, they have a great hassle free warranty, the best I have used. Don’t let the price fool you, they make very good blanks for the money. The specs for the MHX blanks appear to be close to the St Croixs, for half the money. What have you got to lose? Try one and see.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster