I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro wave
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.dhcp.blvl.il.charter.com)
Date: February 03, 2019 07:27PM

When you measure for the stripper guide do you measure for the main ring or the reduction ring?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro wave
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 03, 2019 07:30PM

Main ring .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 09:46AM

Test cast and report the difference. :-) Keep in mind that the reel shaft goes in and out, too. Measure from the middle? I'm kidding around, but I really don't think the differences are significant. I think we, including myself, often over-think these kinds of things.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 10:25AM

Michael
I was told to measure from the lip of the spool when it's as far forward as it can go. I asked the question because there was another thread about where to place the stripper guide and some of the answers indicated that it is very critical for for maximum performance.

Date: February 04, 2019 12:30PM

Paul, it may be critical, but I don't think so. Good idea to go with the best thinking on it, though.

A while back there were other schemes for locating guides with no mention of line type. Now line types are part of the selection process with some guide types. If it's critical I would ask "for what line?" And does it vary with line type and test? I'll bet it does for the latter. I would like AmTak to chime in here; if anyone knows they should.

Posted by: Arthur J Moody (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 03:07PM

The spool is to be extended outward/forward as far as it will go and measured from the lip of it.

Date: February 04, 2019 04:12PM

Yeah Michael maybe Don Morris will weigh in. It would also be nice to know if it change with the type or weight of the line.

Date: February 04, 2019 04:34PM

I'm sure you chose the appropriate Microwave guide system sizing for the line and general spool diameter you plan to use with it . If your reel is a 3000 size spinner you certainly wouldn't be buying the size 50/ 30 Microwave system for it . There are quite a few different choices the Microwave system offers based on what you will be matching it up with.

If you believe you chose the appropriate size system then start where the instructions tell you to start and tinker away from there until you feel the performance is at it's best , this topic has been covered many times already , the below are recommendations from Tom and then Don from American tackle for the Microwave system.

Tom:

" I'd start with the spacing provided with the MIcroWave guide set and cast it a bit. Then move the guide in two inches, cast a few more times, then push it out a couple beyond where you started and try that. If one seems better than another, go with it. You may find, however, that the recommended spacing works very well"

Don:

"We have found that the provided spacing works very well for size 1000-4000 reels. Please by all means do not be afraid to play with stripper spacing by an inch or so"

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 06:21PM

I was told by AT that the stripper can vary as much as 2" inches in either direction, but that the reduction and choke guides be placed as instructed in front of the stripper.

Date: February 04, 2019 06:55PM

In actuality you can do whatever you feel like doing with the system , you bought it with your money and if you want to set it up your own way i'm sure Don won't be busting your door down insisting you follow his exact spec's , then again maybe he will , i never met Don and don't know how level headed he is , seems like he's "On the ball" though .

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 08:25PM

"Microwave line control system"

Date: February 04, 2019 09:58PM

Herb, we all know we can do with the system what we want. No question about whether Don is on the ball. The point is how critical is a half inch or so. And all indications are that it is not all that critical.

"but that the reduction and choke guides be placed as instructed in front of the stripper. " Really?

Date: February 05, 2019 12:06AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, we all know we can do with the system what
> we want. No question about whether Don is on the
> ball. The point is how critical is a half inch or
> so. And all indications are that it is not all
> that critical.
>
>
> "but that the reduction and choke guides be placed
> as instructed in front of the stripper. " Really?

Of course a half inch either way isn't going to be critical , Tom and Don said approx two inches in either direction is fine for the stripper , test cast to see what works best . As far as where you position the secondary reduction guide "Yes" , the secondary reduction guide is supposed to be placed at a certain distance from the first when instituting the Microwave system .

This particular system was tested more extensively than people realize , it's been tweaked to death on a multitude of different blank sizes and reel combinations , it's NOT the type of system where the rod builder decides where everything goes it's a very distinct ( Follow the instructions to the letter ) type of guide system .

Lots of outstanding info in the archives about it , the overwhelming majority of anglers that buy this particular guide system do not deviate much if at all and thats why so many rave about it's performance , American Tackle spent more time testing this system than any other and the recommendations for laying out the guides are exceptionally accurate despite reel and line size differences .

Paul should follow the guidelines and tweak the setup , hopefully he bought the correct Microwave system for what he's planning to use it for and hopefully he's using braid 30 pounds and under because that will work exceptionally well with any of the Microwave guide systems American Tackle offers.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 05, 2019 11:15AM

Thank you everyone for following up on this...

The guide spacing for the stripper guide is measured from the spool lip fully extended to the tp of the main ring...

It does not have to be exact like mentioned before but having the layout makes things super simple.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Date: February 05, 2019 01:46PM

Thanks for all the replys I just wasn't sure which ring on the stripper to measure to and how critical it was to get an exact measurement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster