I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does Flexcoat color preserver dissolve signage ink?
Posted by: Sam Slack (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2019 03:04PM

Help! Help! What will protect signage ink on graphite rod blank?
After doing my best signage with Dr. Ph. Martin's iridescent Gold, I coated with Flexcoat CP and
the CP dissolved my ink! What do I do now? Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Flexcoat color preserver dissolve signage ink?
Date: February 01, 2019 03:08PM

Flexcoat CP again. Should I just put Dr. Martin ink on blank, no Flexcoat CP, coat over with Flexcoat epoxy and

hope for the best?

Date: February 01, 2019 03:08PM

Sam Slack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Help! Help! What will protect signage ink on
> graphite rod blank?
> After doing my best signage with Dr. Ph. Martin's
> iridescent Gold, I coated with Flexcoat CP and
> the CP dissolved my ink! What do I do now?
> Help!

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 03:16PM

Sam Slack :

"After doing my best signage with Dr. Ph. Martin's iridescent Gold, I coated with Flexcoat CP and the CP dissolved my ink". " Does Flexcoat color preserver dissolve signage ink"

Apparently so , best bet is to do it over without it like you said and when dry epoxy over it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 03:35PM

I use Dr. PH. Martens iridescent gold calligraphy ink all the time. Never had it dissolved by CP. I don't use Flexcoat CP, but I have coated this ink with Chromaseal CP, finish epoxy and even Permagloss with no problems. In my opinion it is the best ink you can use for writing on a blank. Don't know what went wrong, unless you coated immediately after use, or applied the CP aggressively.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 03:52PM

Sam,
It looks like it is a water based water color pigment. So using other water based acrylics like Flexcaot CP is going to smear it or make it wet again. I would makes some marks on an old piece of blank or some other similar material and try brushing over it with the wrapping epoxy to see if it will smear it. If it does then try a spray can of clear enamel coat over the top, let it dry and coat over with the epoxy to see if that smears. IF none of that will work then you will need to use a solvent based ink or an acrylic based one. Testers metallic paint will work with a calligraphy pen tip.
Good Luck,
Lance

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 04:46PM

Dr PH. Matins iridescent calligraphy ink is not a water based ink! It is a permanent waterproof, UV resistant, and archival ink that can be thinned with alcohol. It is more more resistant to smearing then any other ink or paint that I have ever used, and I have used most of them. Dr PH.Martins also make India inks, acrylic, and water color products. If you are using the iridescent calligraphy ink you should not have the problem you are having. Forget the CP and coat with finish epoxy, but experiment on a piece of scrap blank. My guess is you are not using the iridescent calligraphy ink. If you are then I have no idea what happened, because it is out side of my experiences with this product.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 04:46PM

Most inks will be stable under a THIN coat of spray fixative. Test until you find a product/process that works for you. Most Dr. Martens inks say they are waterproof, but I've not found them so.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 04:47PM

And epoxy makes them run too.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 05:09PM

Just used PH Martin Iridescent white for the first time on 2 rods. No issues with D-2 on top. It was completely dry before coating. Not sure why you'd want to use cp.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 10:40AM

Whenever I coat over signage, I use the same thread epoxy as I use for the rest of the rod.

However, one important thing:

I wait at least 30 minutes after signing before applying the epoxy.

Most importantly, I do not ever get a brush close to the finish epoxy in the area of the signage. i.e. I flow the epoxy onto the turning rod, in a quantity that is near perfect and then use gentle heat to thin the epoxy and to let it flow around and cover the signage.

After the 1st coat is on and has dried, then if you need to use subsequent coats of epoxy, you can brush to your hearts content over the area of signage and the epoxy will protect the signage from any changes.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster