I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap Rollers
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 31, 2019 07:07PM

I am interested in finding roller guides for a spiral wrapped 50lb, possibly 80lb stand-up rod. Typical, HD ring guides would be sufficient for a 50lb rod but rollers would certainly be the choice of most, myself included, with 80lb and up rods. While certainly having nothing against them, the All American / @#$%& roller guides for spiral wrapped rods are all I have been able to locate through my research. Being located out here in So Cal, I can only assume they are the ones Tom K. referred to in his article, “Stand-Up Trolling Rods” in V-21, I-3 of RodMaker. Having no experience building a spiral wrapped rod with rollers, I would simply prefer to be aware of all that is available.
Do any of you have experience with the All American rollers?
Are there any other manufacturers that offer rollers for spiral wrapped rods? Apparently, and I am surprised, the heavy-hitters such as Aftco, PacBay, Stuart and Winthrop do not offer spiral rollers unless I am missing something.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap Rollers
Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2019 08:06AM

Hi Mark,

Have used the rollers on several rods and think they are very nice guides. Seems as though the trend has shifted to the turbo style guides now .... I think too many people didn't want to bother with the maintenance rollers require. While I still would want rollers on a rod that I am using for anything in the 200# range, it seems that I am in the minority.

Pat Doyle

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 11:18AM

My understanding is that the "@#$%& roller guides" are the one guide that is experessly designed to be used with a spiral wrapped roller guided rod and tip.

In particular, the tip guide is unique with a roller guided rod since the line is coming off of the bottom of the rod rather than the top of the guide.

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.allamericanrollerguides.com]

[www.allamericanrollerguides.com]

I understand that this company is based in Tustin Ca,.

Date: February 01, 2019 02:09PM

Pat,
Thank you for your reply with helpful insight. Do you live out here on the Left Coast as well? With the exception of one spiral wrapped rod I saw on the shelf of a local tackle store, the only acid rods I have seen in 30+ years of ocean fishing here in So Cal have been the ones I built, and I have only been wrapping rods for 4 years! It seems odd the concept was RE-invented out here yet the benefits are utilized everywhere else but here!
I am surprised the trend prefers turbo guides over rollers. A little amount of maintenance is a small price to pay for a superior product, even on an 80# rod but especially on a 200# rod!!!
Roger,
Thank you as well and yet again. It appears as though All American roller guides are the only-game-in-town for spiral wrapped rods. Yes, they are located in Tustin about 30 minutes from me. That is why I am assuming they are the “enterprising pair of West Coast anglers” Tom K. referred to in his “Stand-Up Rods” article. Hopefully, the reason the main roller guide manufacturers decision to not make them for spiral wrapped rods is based on minimal profits rather than minimal practicality. I am comfortable with Pat’s testament and willing to give them a shot.
So, All American roller guides; Pro = 1, Con = 0. Anyone else care to contribute?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2019 07:52AM

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am in the Orange County area. Now and then Jim Upton and I get together for breakfast, if you would like, email me and I'll contact you the next time we are going to see if you'd care to join us.

And by the way, I think you'll be happy with the AT rollers.

My best,

Pat

Date: February 02, 2019 02:47PM

Pat,
While being rather conservative generally, I appreciate and apply technological advancements as long if they are based on function rather than fad. Steve from All American returned my call, even after business hours, and afforded me with a wealth of information concerning rollers in general, wrapped spiral fashion in particular. He is a very nice guy and extremely attentive to his customers. I will certainly be trying his guides on this tuna stick.
I will email you regarding the breakfast issue.

Mark Talmo

Date: February 03, 2019 04:34PM

Pat,
Your email is hidden.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster