I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pulling the loop.. Thread at 90° or 45° to finish?
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 02:13PM

I guess thats a good way to word the topic.. Lol

I pull my thread through with the loop when finishing a wrap at 45°.. Seems to pull smoother.. Expecially with metallics.. But that isnt what im really talking about...

Im talking before you cut the tag end off, is it best to leave the thread at a 45°, or at a 90° along the length of the blank? I think it looks more professional to tug it to a 90, but its nearly impossible (atleast for me, probably cause im a lefty somehow..) To burnish the bump left my the tag away.. At a 45° it doesnt look as clean of a job in my opinion, but it seems its easier to hide with burnishing..

Is there a right or wrong way? Im assuming its matter of preference.. How do you guys lay your threads?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pulling the loop.. Thread at 90° or 45° to finish?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 02:26PM

Date: January 31, 2019 02:34PM

Well, thats that then lol.. Thanks..

Date: January 31, 2019 02:54PM

But... Wait.. There a benifit other then aesthetics? Ive found that there less of a chance of the thread pulling out from over burnishing (we have all done it...) Or baving to straighten a guide to far when its tucked at a 90.. Meaning it holds tighter, or am i finally loosing my mind? In theory, pulling to a 90 should give you less surface area of contact.. But more room for correction loosening (i guess you can call it that) meaning the thread ends up being pulled into a 45° before slipping out due to the threads rotation on the blank.. Keeping it at a 90 would allow for some extra 'warning' wouldnt it? For the record here, i dont have this problem very often.. This thread is More for a understanding lf how things work.. If you follow

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 04:25PM

When I first started building rods a long time ago, I would pull the thread out to 90 degrees.
But, I found that this angle would often distort the wraps just complete. I also found that it was easier to get a clean cut when pulled out at 45 degrees.

Thus, for the last many many years, I have always pulled back at 45 degrees and have never looked back.

Good luck

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 06:29PM

I do as close to 90 degrees as possible. Then I roll a flat smooth "instrument" over it to depress the bulge.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 31, 2019 07:19PM

56.7*

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2019 08:16PM

Like this: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-9.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2019 08:45PM

Lmao.. 56.7 huh? Breakin out the protractor are we? Lol

I saw that video tom, thanks for posting...

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 09:23PM

Ask Norm.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 10:38PM

I think it's obvious that everybody does it their own way and it really comes down to personal preference but if i wanted expert advice i would ask the man who is world renowned and considered the leading authority on custom rod building going back many decades , his video explains it perfectly .

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-0.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2019 11:20PM

If your speaking of tom, im definatly going to do it that way to finish this current build, your right it is a matter of preference though.. Im talking more about... Eh.. Nevermind.. Science and stuff.. Idea for this thread is lost... Lol

Date: February 01, 2019 01:11AM

Anthony,
Sorry if my post was mistaken. It was my feeble attempt to be humorous. The angle in which the pull-through loop pulls the tie-off end of the running thread is certainly not the main issue. Concealing the cut end is! I suppose I pull the tie-off loop more towards 45* than 90*. Rather than pulling the running thread all the way through the overlying wrap threads, consider starting your pull-through loop earlier, say 10 wraps before the end. Fewer wraps can used with a little experience. With your finger holding the wrap from unraveling, cut the running thread and insert into the tie-off loop. Carefully pull the tie-off until the cut running thread is under 1 or 2 wrap threads and cut as close as possible. Pull the tie-off loop 56.7*, lol, and the end of the cut running thread will be buried under the wrap with no need for additional pulling and precise cutting. One way or the other, pulling the tag end of the wrap under itself will produce a slight bump under the wrap as well as distorting the crisp, 90* edge as well. Careful burnishing after the fact will minimize the ill-effect but will not eliminate it. How cleanly one dresses and disguises such is an art unto itself! I am still in the learning stage.
Please accept my apology if any offence was taken.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-8.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2019 01:25AM

No no no... I took it exactly as you ment it to come across.. Lol you acually braught a smile on a crappy day of work..

I guess the better way to ask what i mean is when you pull your tag end through your wraps, has there been any form of study on what acually has more gripping force? 45, or 90.. At a 45° angle you achieve more surface area causing more friction, however do to the twist that thread has, a 90° would have better locking ridges with less surface area... I know none of that really matters once you epoxy, and im pretty sure there isnt a scenario i can think of where this question may pertain to.. Im just curious if anyone has done a study, and if so is my theory correct?

I guess in a sense doing weaves would also be effected do to the twist in the thread depending on how and the direction you palmer the wraps..

I had this same basic discussion on another site pertaining to whip finishing a fly.. And when it was all said and done the best answer i got was its nothing mlre then the science of wrappimg thread over thread... Thats it.. Lol

Just looking for something more i guess.. We are only as good as the knowledge givin.. ;)

Date: February 01, 2019 02:32AM

Acually, not rod building.. But an example of how binding tention comes into play is in fly tying.. Again im plagued with being a lefty.. So i tie flies the opposing direction.. That means i have to stop once in awhile and spin my bodkin otherwise my thread will twist so bad i cant catch feathers properly, or whip finish without having a twisted nightmare of balled thread to try and pull under thread for example..

It doesnt seem as important in rod building to keep your thread untwisted.. Smaller more delicate work would be effected more by this..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 11:22AM

Anthony,
Don't overthink rod building.

Read, listen, practice and use the method/s that work for you and your style of building.

There is no one perfect way to do any job. This is particularly true of rod building.

Just use the method for a particular aspect of rod building that works for you and gives you pleasure.

Be safe

Date: February 01, 2019 02:16PM

Hey Anthony,
Don’t be stepp’n on my toes. I am the Habitual-Over-Thinker on this site! lol

Mark Talmo

Date: February 01, 2019 02:30PM

Anthony,
Roger has told me the same thing numerous times,,,, and he is certainly correct more often than not.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-2.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2019 03:32PM

Lol he has told me that numerous times as well.. Between norm, roger, tom and a few others members i often converse with i have no doubts on the information they telay..

I like over complicating things.. Helps you discover new and better ways to do thingz..

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 05:42PM

If you are concerned with the bump, fray the remaining thread before you pull it under. This helps to disguise the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster