I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crappie Jigging Rod
Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: January 31, 2019 12:53PM

I'm looking at building one of these new Get Bit 12' Speckled Perch-Crappie Blanks into a rear reel seat rod, but I've got questions lol.

The blank is 0.667" at the butt so I'm going to use a size 18 spinning seat. I believe I want to put a full wells grip in front of that. I will put either a small spinning reel or a B'n'M Buck’s Best Ultra Lite Crappie Reel 2, either way I'll use 10 or 15 lb braid on the reel.

Looking around online, the companies that make these appear to be using a couple double foot guides then singles to the top. I'm making some assumptions, but I was thinking Fuji KW 12, KW 8, then KT 4 runners to the top.

I have no idea what to do on the guide layout. It won't be cast, just used to jig lilly pads, so I'm thinking I don't need to put the stripper guide all that close to the reel. I originally thought it would be set up like a fly rod, so I was going to try 32" from the butt, but the manufacturers appear to be putting the guides out anywhere between 40-50" from the butt.

Questions:
How does the reduction train sound, would 12, 8, 4 to the tip work? Go bigger, smaller, 4 step reduction, etc?
I will static load test, but how many guides do you think I will end up with?
Where would you locate the stripper guide, and what is the rationale behind that placement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crappie Jigging Rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 02:48PM

I picked up a couple of the Get Bit 10’ speckled perch rods. They are more like a medium to medium/heavy salmon/steelhead blanks, more stout and faster than most commercial crappie jig rods like B’n’M. Has plenty of power in the butt section, so if you are pulling crappie out of pads and structure they should work fine. I built one of them as a long spin rod for use as a float and jig rod. Used Minima M and F guides set up as a KR-like rod. The person I built it for really likes it because it is not floppy and soft like most long crappie rods. If you are looking for a more traditional soft and moderate action crappie rod you might be disappointed, but if you want something with more power it will be just fine.
My personal crappie jig rods are are 10’ 6 wgt and 7 wgt fast action fly rod blanks, and are set up as a fly rods. I used Minima4 guides; double ft 12T and 8T with either 5F or 6F runners. I use the smallest and cheapest fly reel and fly line I can find, using a fluorocarbon or mono leader. The use of fly line allows me to strip in the fish without the line cutting my fingers. However, if you going to use braid, then what you have suggested will be fine. My stripper guide is at 31,5” from the butt, and for me it works great.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 06:53PM

Seth,
If you are going to do 0 casting you could just put on #4s from the reel to the tip. Put the first guide at 40 inches from the face of the reel and you will be set.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: February 26, 2019 10:34AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I picked up a couple of the Get Bit 10’ speckled
> perch rods. They are more like a medium to
> medium/heavy salmon/steelhead blanks, more stout
> and faster than most commercial crappie jig rods
> like B’n’M. Has plenty of power in the butt
> section, so if you are pulling crappie out of pads
> and structure they should work fine. I built one
> of them as a long spin rod for use as a float and
> jig rod. Used Minima M and F guides set up as a
> KR-like rod. The person I built it for really
> likes it because it is not floppy and soft like
> most long crappie rods. If you are looking for a
> more traditional soft and moderate action crappie
> rod you might be disappointed, but if you want
> something with more power it will be just fine.
> My personal crappie jig rods are are 10’ 6 wgt
> and 7 wgt fast action fly rod blanks, and are set
> up as a fly rods. I used Minima4 guides; double
> ft 12T and 8T with either 5F or 6F runners. I use
> the smallest and cheapest fly reel and fly line I
> can find, using a fluorocarbon or mono leader.
> The use of fly line allows me to strip in the fish
> without the line cutting my fingers. However, if
> you going to use braid, then what you have
> suggested will be fine. My stripper guide is at
> 31,5” from the butt, and for me it works great.
> Norm

Norm, if you're still getting notified about this. How does this sound? BP has the White River Fly Shop Intruder Fly Reel in 3/4 for $30, White River Fly Shop Classic Small Stream Fly Line in 3 weight for $20, and 20 lb backing for $8.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2019 09:35PM

Seth that is the same fly reel I’m using. The fly line i use is an inexpensive fly line I picked up at Cabelas, and it came with a spool of backing for about $15 to $20. For the way I fish this setup works great for me. I just flip the line out with a crappie jig tied on. I use it with or with a float, depends on how deep I’m fishing. Caught about 1500 to 2000 crappie during the spawn last year with a couple over 3 lbs, and most in the 1.5 to 2 Lbs range. Ross Barnett Reservoir has some very good crappie fishing, and the spawn is just about ready ro get underway. However, some of my best spots have been closed to all boating due to giant Salvinia, which they are trying to eradicate. Hopefully, they will reopen up this area around April first.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster