I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wooden handles.. Directly on the blank? Or have a barrier to protect?
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 02:56AM

Ive been trying to get my brother to turn some handles for me for over 6 months.. All of a sudden he spends 300$ on stuff to do it.. Lol

I seem to recall a discussion i had a while back about the possibly of 'hard spots' when dealing with carbon fiber grips.. If memory serves, whlever that was that brought that up talked about applying a foam, or neoprene barrier on wooden handles to reduce the shock while under heavy load.. And if memory serves again, we concluded that this isnt something that has to be done since there wasnt any hard evidence.. But more of a good precaution.. I am i correct?

And what the heck is the best way to reem a taper into wood? Im guessing my trusty rat tail files..

Re: Wooden handles.. Directly on the blank? Or have a barrier to protect?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 09:35AM

Anthony,
The simple answer about a hole in a wood handle is to use a simple drill and drill a center hole on the wood grip.
Drill the hole to be the same size as the largest part of the grip. Then, build up the rod blank so that there is no taper on the blank and the grip slips on the straight grip.

Easy to do, and it works well. On most blanks, there is not a lot of taper in the blank over the part of the blank where the grip is to be installed. So, it doesn't take much build up on the front part of the grip to make the blank of a uniform size.

Another very simple thing to do, which is done by a lot of folks is to drill a straight hole through the grip that is a convenient size that is near the size of a foam arbor. Then, ream the foam arbor to the size of the rod blank. Glue the foam arbor to the blank or to the inside of the wood grip and then either glue the wood grip to the arbor, or glue the glued up grip with arbor to the blank. Especially if one is using a harder and heavier wood for the grip, the idea of reducing the amount of wood in the grip by boring it out will make the grip lighter.

Good luck

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 31, 2019 09:50AM

Anthony

A barrier is not necessary, after completion the only barrier is the thin glue line between the components.

To taper the wood grip ID try getting a scrap section of rod blank with the same or close enough taper. Attach a strip of of Emory paper around it to make a tapered file and ream the handle.

Have fun.

John

Date: January 31, 2019 09:59AM

Copy that.. I tend to over thing things...

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 10:32AM

To lighten the handle, some will drill the handle to a accept a 20mm polyurethane shim. After gluing the shim in place it can be reamed easily to fit the blank.
Norm

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 11:05AM

Just be cautious when drilling so as not to make the wall of the wood grip too thin and taking a chance of a crack in the future.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: January 31, 2019 11:28AM

Ron thats a valid point.. I wonder.. What wall thinkness do you pro's think is acceptable to avoid cracking or full failure for the life of the rod.. Assuming the handle, along with the rod, has been properly taken care, and stored between outings properly?

Also, for you guys who do turn your own wooden handles.. What is an acceptable moisture percentage? When doing custom countertops we used to have all our matrial no more then 12%... For a rod handle im assuming 12 should be good no? My brother picked up rosewood, and 2 others i cant think of at the moment, at 8%

And he needs to really listen to me.. Lol he refuses to drill the wood first and use a mandrel.. I plan to get a midi lathe here before too long, i want to turn my own wokden and resin hybrid grips.. He also refuses to try 2 part resin for turning.. Or any other woodworking project for that matter.. Stubborn.. Just Stubborn...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 12:34PM

Anthony,
Here is a picture of my lathe with the setup that I used to center drill the rod grip after it was turned:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 31, 2019 12:39PM

Thats a good idea and nice setup.. My brothers lathe has a mori 2 tailstock.. Its also a 1939 Craftsman "De-lux" comination 10" lathe.. So not nearly as nice and shiny lol..

I will pass that image on to him though.. He did just buy a 3 point steady rest..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 10:59PM

As I am usually using more than one wood in grip, I start with my wood cut 1-1/4" square by what ever length I need. These pieces I bore out 20mm to accommodate the 20mm foam core I then epoxy them on. I use a length of all thread with washers and wing nuts to clamp the glued up wood. When cured, I bore the foam out to the mandrel size I will use and the turn the grip on the mandrel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2019 12:52PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-0.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2019 11:22PM

Thats more what im trying to get him to do.. Hes not bad at turning.. But stubburn in his ways.. Lol what i need to really do is get a lathe, do it.. That way, like always, he will try and one up me lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster