I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing an old graphite rod with a cracked butt
Posted by: Jeremy Lee (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2019 07:42PM

Hey all,

I have an old graphite rod (Olympic 065GN made in Korea - can't find anything about it) that has a cracked end. There are about a couple cracks about 2"-3" down to the end of it - I removed the grip and reel seat as I was intending to replace all that regardless. I've replaced the reel seat/grips on another rod previously but have pretty limited experience otherwise.

Here are some pictures of the damage:
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this? I checked on another forum (though not dedicated to rod building) and one person recommended cutting about 2" above where the crack ends at the butt, then use another old rod blank (I have a small section from a travel rod that I checked and seems like it fits) to reinforce everything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing an old graphite rod with a cracked butt
Date: January 30, 2019 07:44PM

Also, is there an simple way to remove the old foam and tape on the blank from where I removed the grips/seat? That stuff is really stubborn and I'm having a heck of a time removing it...

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2019 09:48PM

Jeremy

See discussion of Michael Sutheimer on Jan 16 @ 05:16 AM

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2019 11:21PM

Jeremy,
The fix is very simple and absolutely reliable.
With the crack exposed and the blank cleaned up, find a perfectly fitting piece of rod blank material that will fit tightly inside the butt of the rod up past the crack for at least 2 inches.

Then, sand down the outside of the repair blank to give it a nice rough texture so that it will adhere well to the inside of the cracked blank.

Then, have several strips of masking tape cut and ready apply on the outside of the blank.

Finally mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and give the inside of the cracked blank and the outside of the repair blank a good coating of 5 minute epoxy and firmly shove the repair blank up past the cracked blank at least two inches such that it is nice and firm in the cracked blank. Then, wipe off any 5 minute epoxy that has seeped out of the cracks and quickly take the masking tape and do tight tape wraps on the outside of the cracked blank that is being repaired.

Give the glue a couple of hours to cure, and then remove the masking tape and you now have a sound blank to put a new grip on and finish the restoration of the rod.

The entire process should take less than an hour and will last as long as the rod is in service.

Good luck

Date: January 31, 2019 01:10AM

Thanks guys.

So no need to cut off any of the cracked rod portion?

Here's a picture of a blank section of an old travel rod:

[lh3.googleusercontent.com]

And with the section inside (it's pretty long and goes way further up than just the bottom cracked area):
[lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 02:45AM

You should make sure there isnt much wiggle room.. Haveing them close to the same taper.. The epoxy should help fill any slight void id assume.. Definatly no need to cut it off though.. Apply the epoxy leberally.. Better to have to much and wipe it away then not enough.. I personally havent had to do a repair like this in the butt section, but the tighter the fit. The less chance of failure when stressed.. Theres a article on rod repair in the library section lf the page worth a read

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 02:42PM

Just a suggestion; I would bend the rod over my head at fairly good bend that would be just a little over the stress that a fish would put on it to make sure the rod doesn't just snap after all the effort to repair. If it is hardy enough to withstand a stress test then it should be good enough for the repair. I am just saying this because the rod looks a little old or has been abused.

Date: January 31, 2019 05:09PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a suggestion; I would bend the rod over my
> head at fairly good bend that would be just a
> little over the stress that a fish would put on it
> to make sure the rod doesn't just snap after all
> the effort to repair. If it is hardy enough to
> withstand a stress test then it should be good
> enough for the repair. I am just saying this
> because the rod looks a little old or has been
> abused.

Not sure if this matters but it's a 2pc rod - I actually fished it a couple months back and caught some fish on it granted they were smaller and probably no more than a pound or two. But good point though - that would really stink! EDIT: I just put it together and flexed it a decent amount a few times but not super aggressively. It *seems* ok - not sure if the way I did it was sufficient enough though.

BTW: The blank spare section I have is about 12"-15" long or so - would it be OK just to stick the entire thing in? I guess it would allow for extra reinforcement pretty much across most of the grip and seat areas. I think it gets about half-way into where the fore-grip is position.

Also, I have some U-40 Rod Bond on hand from a previous reel seat/grip install. Would it be ok or even preferable to go ahead and use that for the blank reinforcement instead of 5-min epoxy? Or better just to stick with 5-min epoxy? The reason I ask partly is because I don't have 5-min epoxy on hand so if I can use the U-40 instead, it'll save me a trip to the hardware store.
On that note, does U-40 ever go bad too? I recently mixed some up and have some residue on a piece of cardboard - it still feels tacky to this day. Unless I got the ratio wrong but I was pretty close to 50/50

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 05:14PM by Jeremy Lee.

Date: January 31, 2019 06:56PM

Use what ever glue that you want to use.
I expect that you feel some tackiness on the cardboard is because it is likely you are feeling parts of the glue that were not well mixed.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2019 07:00PM

I agree with Roger, just glue the sucker up and go with it.
Norm

Date: January 31, 2019 09:40PM

Thanks all. I'm deciding on the grips and seat to put on it. I was probably just going to order a Fuji DPSM seat - any pointers though on what size for this rod? I was considering the DPSM16 or DPSM17 but originally it had a HAPS-18 sized reel seat on it. I mostly have fished this with a 4000 sized reel but I think it could take as low as 2000-2500 up to 5000 (although I never fished a reel bigger than 4000 on it)? Was curious about the grips too - I'll probably order EVA grips that have a .50" bored hole. Right now I have roughly around 16.5" of length to work with for the grip and seat area. Might be a little less if I really cram the blank in but I think I may have it in as far as it'll go - I'm guessing I should avoid tapping with a hammer lol. Also, any thoughts on the blank having a smaller O.D. sticking out at the bottom? Just build-up with masking or some other kind of tape until it's the same O.D. as the original blank? Or don't even bother?

These are the components I'm considering if I were to lean towards the DPSM17 btw:
Fore grip 3" - [www.mudhole.com]
Seat DPSM17 4.685" - [www.mudhole.com]
Rear grip 9" but I think closer to 8.75" in actual length - [www.mudhole.com]
Butt Cap - [www.mudhole.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 09:57PM by Jeremy Lee.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:27AM

Jeremy,
The key point of this entire repair job is to have a tapered plug that exactly matches the taper of the original blank.

It is nice to have the repair blank a few inches longer than what you need for the repair so that you can have the repair insert protruding past the butt of the blank. This protrusion makes a nice handle to use when working with the repair blank.

If your repair plug has the exact same taper, the inside end of the repair plug will stop about 2 or 3 inches in front of the damage. Glue it up and when the glue is dry, chop off any protruding piece of the internal repair blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 01:04PM

i fully agree with roger, thats how a plug repair is done basically anywhere on a rod

Date: February 01, 2019 02:00PM

Thanks for clarifying - I'll follow your advice Roger!

BTW: if I'm measuring a 14-15mm or ~.50" diameter of the blank along last 14" of the butt of the rod and I'm planning to get those EVA Foam grips, what inner diameter should I go with?
They offer grips with pre-bored holes of the following I.D.s: .25", .375" or .50" - best to stick with .50"? Or go smaller for a 'snug' fit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 02:00PM by Jeremy Lee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster