I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Temperature for Removing Epoxy
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 06:53AM

I have a heat gun where you can adjust the temperature in F or C. I used to know this, but what is the best temperature for softening the epoxy on guide wraps so that I can remove them? This is of course means hot enough to do the job but not so hot that it cooks the crap out of everything?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Temperature for Removing Epoxy
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 08:12AM

Hair dryer before heat gun.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2019 08:31AM

Or no heat at all.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 09:07AM

No hotter than my hands can handle, typically is what I do.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 12:13PM

I like a hair dryer to soften the epoxy somewhat for easier removal. I don’t use a heat gun, just gets too hot, and I have caused the tip section on a rod to just fold over; not good! I figure if a hair dryer doesn’t harm your hair by catching it on fire, then it won’t damage your blank, but still be careful.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 12:18PM

Tony,
I heat to just short of smoking hot and it works well.

Just remember, too hot, and you destroy the blank.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 29, 2019 01:01PM

Tony

You are walking a thin line trying to heat the unwanted epoxy to softening temperatures without risking damaging the blank. The blank is impregnated with epoxy
and the applied heat does not discriminate between unwanted epoxy and blank epoxy.

I suggest you peel and carefully scrape off the old epoxy as shown in the video. It can be time consuming but the risk to the blank is minimum.

Have fun.

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: January 29, 2019 01:36PM

A good sharp razor blade goes through epoxy real easy.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 29, 2019 05:19PM

Blanks can take up to boiling temperature. At sea level, water maxes out at 212 F or 100C. So that is your safe temperature controlled method. Much higher, I think the blanks may start to unravel.

Good youtube link Tom. I take pleasure in pulling the thread off by unrolling it so I nick one end on one thread, and then unroll the rest. Kinda like popping bubble wrap in the pleasure....:) I know, I'm odd.

Why score the end of the wrap? Why not take it all off?

My question is how to soften the epoxy INSIDE grips etc on these high $ Japanese rods without having to cut the grips up. Not sure what kind of glue they use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 03:20PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 07:03PM

Depending upon what material was used to make the grips, it might not be possible to heat the epoxy on the rod. Cork for instance acts as insulation

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 07:04PM

I don't believe hair dryers are allowed to reach 140F. Around here water heaters are often set at 180F as the high limit.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-27.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2019 03:33PM

-----Good youtube link Tom. I take pleasure in pulling the thread off by unrolling it so I knick one end on one thread, and then unroll the rest. Kinda like popping bubble wrap in the pleasure----

Your not the only one.. Lol. Me too... I try and not use heat unless completly necessary.. I may be wrong... But depending on the epoxy brand, and OD of the selected area, it would have to vary on specific heat levels..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster