I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gorilla glue
Posted by: robert taylor (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 28, 2019 09:29PM

I normally use flex coat epoxy for my reel seats and cork grips,what do you think about clear gorilla glue as a alternative.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gorilla glue
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 09:36PM

no not a good idea as it is an expanding product and can cause damage because it has to expand and have the path way to do so or you might get a burst out .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 10:43PM

Agree with Matthew , as good as Gorilla Glue is i wouldn't use it for reel seats , problem is the expanded glue becomes extremely hard once fully dried it doesn't stay soft . It's impossible to know just how much it will expand also , too little and it won't expand quite enough and a little too much and it could cause extreme pressure between the blank and seat & there's no way to gauge the expansion it's just a guess . Add a little water to it and it really expands.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 02:06AM

Gorilla glue triples as it cures and makes a real mess, that is my concern over damaging something, it happens over quite a while so your constantly cleaning up. It also isn't near as strong and dependable a bond.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2019 11:02AM

It also requires moisture in order to cure properly so you have to wipe mating surfaces with a damp cloth before apply and adhering. It's just not an ideal product for mounting rod components.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 12:20PM

The best thing to do with Gorilla glue in a rod building shop is to move it to the carpentry shop and let no drop of the glue ever touch a rod or a rod part.

Date: January 29, 2019 12:38PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

" Let no drop of the glue ever touch a rod or a rod part"

Or your bare hands because that stuff is a complete nightmare to remove , it even welds the fingers together on gloves lol.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 12:55PM

I think Robert is talking about gorilla glue epoxy, not the original expanding wood glue. [www.gorillatough.com]
It is a 5 min epoxy and I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work just fine for reel seats.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 02:25PM

To me the paste type epoxy work better for grips and reel seats. The original Gorilla glue will totally screw up your rod because it will keep expanding and blow out the ends of the reel seats and grips even after you have cleaned it off. Had to find out the hard way when it first came out.

Date: January 29, 2019 03:16PM

Info from the Gorilla Glue website :

Our new Clear Gorilla Glue is a hybrid adhesive that will require clamping. Apparently it does not expand like the original but from reviews it's hit and miss , some love it and others say it doesn't work well so who knows . Why take the chance just pick up something that you know works.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 29, 2019 07:20PM

I few years ago I did a lot of party boat rental rod with new reel seats and fore grips with gorilla glue it expands and comes out holes. but I have not got one of those rods come back with a loose reel seat or grip. they have come back with broken guide and tips.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2019 08:35PM

I think I would use what I normally use, and if I wanted to try a new product, I would try one that was designed for the task at hand. Vise grips will work for loosening hex head bolts, but a socket or a wrench works much better.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 19, 2023 09:48PM

You would want to use Clear Gorilla Glue, not the regular stuff.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 19, 2023 10:11PM

why fool around with something that is a "maybe!"

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: January 19, 2023 10:37PM

Like others have said gorilla has lots of different glues these days. the original polyurethane, the newer clear , PVA (wood glue) , SUPER glue and epoxy and more. ive used all of the above. The only one id even consider putting in a rod build would be their 2 part epoxy and it wouldnt be my first choice or even my second....maybe in a pinch for a quick repair.

The original polyurethane glue expands and makes a mess, it has its place and nothing holds Boral trim boards and moldings better FME. The clear didnt hold anywhere near as good as the expanding poly glue in the same application. I actually threw the clear out so nobody used it on the job.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 20, 2023 02:21PM

While I am not advocating for it, I have seen the clear used on rod wraps in place of traditional epoxies.

The only Gorilla Glue I have used is their two part epoxy, and I have used it in making golf clubs (adhering the shaft to the club head) and fly rods (adhering cork handle and real seat to the blank) without any issues, though I much prefer an epoxy with a longer set up time.

[www.youtube.com]

bamboo rod makers and other woodworkers have used Gorilla Glue

Some have used Gorilla Glue instead of varnish on bamboo rods

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2023 01:07AM by david taylor.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: January 24, 2023 09:17PM

"Add a little water to it and it really expands."

Yes it does! I have never used Gorilla Glue for anything myself, but for those of you who keep it on hand, just a word of caution. As a practicing veterinarian, anyone in my profession who has been around a while knows what Gorilla Glue can do to someone or something (like your dog) that may have made the unfortunate mistake of swallowing some of it while chewing on the container. The stuff blows up like insulating foam inside the stomach, and the stomach acts like a mold. The glue forms a very nice, very firm cast inside that mold, rendering the stomach incapable of accepting any food or water as it is now completely occupied/expanded by the glue cast.

The only way out is surgical whereby the stomach must be incised a considerable length to remove the cast in one piece. The prognosis with a prompt diagnosis and surgery is usually excellent. The impact on your wallet? You could have bought a real gorilla!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster