I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What size threads are these?
Posted by: Jeremy Lee (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 11:13AM

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could help identify what size threads these are. I was looking to wind on a new a guide in place of one that I took off a factory rod - it's a bass rated rod I think like 8-17lbs or something by All Star...

[photos.app.goo.gl]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What size threads are these?
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2019 11:25AM

Jeremy,

The threads look awful heavy; but it is hard to tell from the photo.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: January 28, 2019 11:35AM

Thanks Don! So Size D you're thinking? I can try to get some better pics, although I'm not sure what I should put them next to for 'scale'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 11:36AM by Jeremy Lee.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 11:57AM

Size is not that important, just match the color. Going to be difficult to get a size because of the epoxy penetration, making the thread appear thick and wiry. In most cases the metallic silver trim will be size A. For he black size A, B, or D will look fine. The size B and D are easier to wrap, especially for a beginner.
Norm

Date: January 28, 2019 12:01PM

I added a new photo to the album with the threads straightened out also with a standard 2 pencil in there for scale, if that may help with determining things.

Date: January 28, 2019 12:03PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Size is not that important, just match the color.
> Going to be difficult to get a size because of the
> epoxy penetration, making the thread appear thick
> and wiry. In most cases the metallic silver trim
> will be size A. For he black size A, B, or D will
> look fine. The size B and D are easier to wrap,
> especially for a beginner.
> Norm

Thanks Norm! I did find a size D black thread at my local tackle shop but couldn't find the metallic silver trim to match what I have. I'm not sure if these are ProWrap, PacBay, Fuji or what... I'm guessing one of the three though.

Date: January 28, 2019 12:08PM

Is there any brand(s) recommended for a quick fix like this? I seem to be having a harder time finding a matching metallic thread. I'm not looking to invest a ton at this point - I have maybe one other rod where I am looking to replace/rewind a guide back on so I didn't want to overbuy on the supplies. I'm assuming a small watercolor brush, Flex Coat, superglue, and the black and metallic silver spool are all I really need for this? I have a cardboard box with V's cut to act as a makeshift rod stand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 12:09PM by Jeremy Lee.

Date: January 28, 2019 12:42PM

For the most part silver metallic is silver metallic, and black is black from all manufacturers. Those are two colors that do not vary much at all, so any manufacturer will be fine. I have not found a brand of thread that wraps any better or worse than any other. Most people pick a brand based on the colors they offer.
Norm

Date: January 28, 2019 01:11PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> For the most part silver metallic is silver
> metallic, and black is black from all
> manufacturers. Those are two colors that do not
> vary much at all, so any manufacturer will be
> fine. I have not found a brand of thread that
> wraps any better or worse than any other. Most
> people pick a brand based on the colors they
> offer.
> Norm

I was confused looking at the offerings from Pacbay and ProWrap and the color names. I think Pacbay's version is "Chrome" (http://www.mudhole.com/Pac-Bay-Metallic-Thread?quantity=1&custcolpbmetallicthread=2) and Prowrap's is either "silver" or "Pearl" (http://www.mudhole.com/ProWrap-Metallic-Rod-Winding-Thread?quantity=1&custcolprowrap=117) - it's hard to tell from the pics.

Date: January 28, 2019 01:14PM

I wonder if this would do the trick: [www.aliexpress.com]

Date: January 28, 2019 01:27PM

Also this: [www.aliexpress.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 02:27PM

Pretty simple.
It is black thread.

Use size a black thread in your choice of manufacture. For a rod like this size A will work and look just fine. If you have metallic thread to put on trim bands, the typical metallic thread is size A as well. After the guide is wrapped and coated, the size of the thread simply disappears.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 03:01PM

what ever way you do , remember the fish can't tell the difference on the color of the thread ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: January 28, 2019 05:08PM

Jeremy, have you ever wrapped a rod before? If not, then trying to duplicate the guide wrap shown in your picture will take some knowledge on how to perform that wrap. It’s not that hard to do but you will need to know how to do it. If you are planning on trying to build your own rods, then stripping down the rod you have and rewrapping it will be good practice. However, if you just want to replace that one broken guide on you rod, you might be better off having someone else do it for you; it would certainly be cheaper! Another option is to locate a local rod builder who is willing to help you get started, or take a rod building class.
Never heard of the wrapping threads you linked to, but I assume they would be fine. However, I would go with a trusted name brand.

Date: January 28, 2019 05:21PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Jeremy, have you ever wrapped a rod before? If
> not, then trying to duplicate the guide wrap shown
> in your picture will take some knowledge on how to
> perform that wrap. It’s not that hard to do but
> you will need to know how to do it. If you are
> planning on trying to build your own rods, then
> stripping down the rod you have and rewrapping it
> will be good practice. However, if you just want
> to replace that one broken guide on you rod, you
> might be better off having someone else do it for
> you; it would certainly be cheaper! Another
> option is to locate a local rod builder who is
> willing to help you get started, or take a rod
> building class.
> Never heard of the wrapping threads you linked to,
> but I assume they would be fine. However, I would
> go with a trusted name brand.

I have not wrapped a rod before so this is all new territory. I was thinking it might be more cost and time efficient just to have someone else do it versus investing in all the materials when I only plan on doing this as-needed haha. I know of a couple local builders who might be willing to help out but they're pretty busy with things and not close. In fact, there is a rod building club that meets down in San Diego (I'm in Orange County, CA) on a weekly basis. The only issue is getting down there for it! I'll have to try to arrange something if I can.

Date: January 28, 2019 07:13PM

I Thought so, that’s the reason I asked. Shame you are not here in Mississippi I would do it for you free. Maybe there is someone here from Orange County that can help. If you are interested I could put a small kit together and send it to you, just click on my name to get my email address.
Norm

Date: January 28, 2019 10:01PM

Thanks Norm! I do have a cousin in New Orleans but that's not going to help much lol. Some of the guys who I've met who do rod building as more of a hobby are probably the ones to ask. It's just that most of them are either super busy or are a bit far away. I'm not in the biggest rush since I admittedly have more rods that I "need" - I might be interested in this kit! I do like the DIY aspect and figure between asking online, watching Youtube vids, and perhaps practicing on an old rod section or something, I could probably figure out how to do the wraps. Thanks so much for the offer! I actually have the replacement guides too at the moment - it's really just the supplies I needed help with figuring out in terms of what to get. I'll shoot you an email

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 11:20PM

Jeremy , some of the best video's iv'e ever seen are from the man who put together and runs this website , the man responsible for RodMaker magazine and the man who is the author of some of the most acclaimed books on custom rod building ever released Tom Kirkman himself . Check the links below .

Removing fishing guides to replace / [www.youtube.com]

Easy guide wrap starting / [www.youtube.com]

Easy guide wrap tie offs / [www.youtube.com]

Applying rod finish epoxy / [www.youtube.com]

Hope i didn't embarrass Tom , i may have over done it a bit , all true though.

Date: January 29, 2019 01:43PM

Yes, all of these videos are very helpful. I think Jeremy’s problem deals with his inexperience and the total cost invoked to just wrap one guide doing it by himself, as he is unsure if he wants to get into the rod building hobby. For example, two 100 yd spools of thread about $10, a 2oz Flexcoat epoxy finish kit about $14, or a ProKote 6gm packet for $2.25, plus shipping. Also need a cheap disposable brush, the mixing vessel can just be a piece of aluminum foil. Although relatively inexpensive, it still puts the total cost above that for having someone replace the guide. However, if he is thinking seriously about getting into the hobby then it is a cheap investment. He could certainly use a makeshift hand wrapper using a pile of books as a thread tension device, I still think that books perform as one of the best tensioning devices that one can use. After applying the epoxy finish he would have to turn the rod manually for a couple of hours. This is done by suspending the rod between two chairs and turning the rod 1/4 turn every few minutes for the first 30 min, and then every 10 min for the next hour, then every 15 min for the next hour or so, or until the epoxy doesn’t flow any more, and is tacky to the touch ( only touch the stuff in the mixing vessel). With ProKote might have to go longer because it has a longer pot life than most. I did this for years before a got a rod rotator. But hand turning works. So Jeremy, if you want to give it ago, then this should give you a good idea on how to do it. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2019 06:08PM

Have you talked to the people at Charkbait in Huntington Beach?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster