I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What’s the best epoxy?
Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: January 26, 2019 03:30PM

I’m familiar with the regular and high build pro kote but I’ve been thinking of trying flexcoat. The question I have is flexcoat better or the same? Or is there a different brand I should use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the best epoxy?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 03:38PM

I have used flexcoat for many many years and I have never had a single bad result from its use.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2019 05:02PM

They're all good. They vary in pot life, viscosity, etc., but all are good. You just have to find the one that you like the best.

If you are looking for an epoxy that is idiot proof, you won't find it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 05:19PM

Every builder has their favorite for various reasons.
I like the ThreadMaster "regular" - not the light.
I experienced some cracking at the guide feet-tips using the FlexCoat product.
Herb

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 05:41PM

I initially thought he was referring to the epoxy's for gluing reel seats etc.... but he's talking about thread finish apparently , probably one of the most asked questions in rod building history , almost as popular as " Whats the best rod" . There's is no best , there is only whats best for each individual and they rarely ever always agree.

The below may help you out :

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 05:53PM

i use flex coat and threadmaster on three badly abused flip rods over many years and still no cracks..i attribute this to the forhan locking wrap..if the toe of the guide moves cracks will happen and the toe moves because the eye is moving..that,s where all the leverage is located..the locking wrap keeps the eye very stable..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 07:05PM

I use D-2, about to try Threadmaster Lite.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: January 26, 2019 08:12PM

Thanks for the links, I guess these questions get asked over and over.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 10:01PM

Flex coat for me

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 11:53PM

I really like threadmaster and threadmaster lite depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. I am relatively new to building so take it with a grain of salt but I have had zero issues.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 27, 2019 12:06AM

Yeah, the same questions. It's the same stuff. Me personally, I have used ProCoat, FlexCoat and Threadmaster. I'm not sure why, but Threadmaster Lite is my go to. But FlexCoat Lite is also very good, as is the ProCoat. It's hard to go wrong here. All epoxy is the same basic chemistry, so find one with the kinetics you like and build with it. FlexCoat has the best videos. Their videos are great and enough to tip the scales that direction if you are interested.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 27, 2019 12:47AM

Michael Tarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the links, I guess these questions get
> asked over and over.

Oh , i wasn't trying to make you feel bad for asking the question so i hope you didn't take it that way , it was just an observation. If you would like to read more about what epoxies the forum members prefer and why they prefer it check out page 2 & 3 in the below link :

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster