I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pine bark handle
Posted by: Sam Johns (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 26, 2019 12:36PM

has anyone made handle from pine bark? I have rings I cut with a hole saw that seams to be perfect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pine bark handle
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2019 01:10PM

Should be easy enough to try. Doesn't sound like an expensive experiment. Only question would be how does it hold up. Maybe somebody will chime in with an answer.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 02:59PM

Sam

Made several pine bark grips years ago, love them, and have a pine bark grip on my favorite bamboo rod. I was able at that time to buy the rings already cut to size (1 1/8" X 1/2'") with a 1/4" ID center hole. Got just enough supply remaining for one more grip and it is one of my most cherished supplies.

I treated the pine bark rings as if they were cork - glued them up on a mandrel using TiteBond III and a cork press. Turned to shape on a lathe, tapered reamers to fit to blank, and epoxy adhesive to affix to the blank. Again, all just as if it were cork.

There were, however, there are three minor and one significant differences from cork. Firstly, the bark is just a bit more dense than cork, but any additional weight will be way back on the butt so it's a near non-event. And being more dense the pine bark will not turn to shape as quickly as cork. Just take your time, don't try to force or hurry things along. Finally, if you need to inlet the pine bark for an up locking reel set it can be done with the same tool you use for cork. Again, just take your time.

The significant difference between cork and bark is aesthetic - folks either love or hate the look. I love the look when the bark grip is finished with Tru-Oil, which is whole other topic. Bottom line is my go to 5 weight fly rod has been fished a bunch over the last 7 or 8 year and the pine bark grip is still 98% as new.

Good luck.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2019 03:00PM

I have used pine bark in many grips for fly rods, but not an entire grip, however it should work OK.

Posted by: Sam Johns (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 26, 2019 03:28PM

thanks all going to give it a try , I guess cork sealer will work for a sealer.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2019 07:30PM

I found the ends of the grip to be a little brittle. I would recommend possibly adding either a cork ring or rubberized cork ring to the ends......I finished mine with multiple coats of tung oil.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster