I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thingamajig that latches on a bare blank tip with weight to check action and power...
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2019 08:35PM

This query may be a bit obscure....but if there's anyplace on this planet to get an answer, I figure it has to be on this forum.

Years ago, I saw a photo of a bar blank where someone put a weight at its end to show the action and power. However, instead of taping the weight on it as I have been doing, it was a thin sleeve of some material (maybe rubber?) where the person simply put it on the tip, pull and the item snugged against the tip. Sort of like a very small/slender Chinese finger trap.

Anyone know where I can find something like that for my bare blanks? More elegant and quicker than using tape.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thingamajig that latches on a bare blank tip with weight to check action and power...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2019 09:51PM

Lynn Williams at Backlash Tools was making those but he no longer offers rod building tools. You might be able to concoct something similar from very small diameter rubber or latex tubing.

Re: Thingamajig that latches on a bare blank tip with weight to check action and power...
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2019 11:48PM

Try surgical tubing. Also look in electrical supply house's for wire pulling mesh. If you can't find the mesh send me your address and I'll send you about three feet of it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 12:00AM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: January 25, 2019 06:58AM

Maybe a braided leader loop (as used in fly fishing) might do the trick

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2019 08:34PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Again, what a wonderful board!

And Dennis Danku, thanks for your offer.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2019 02:07PM

OK folks , simple is better.

Six inches of mono fishing line tie a 3 inch loop, tie tag ends together, hold half inch down, knot towards the butt from the tip and wrap a rubber band over and around till your sure it wont slip. ten to twenty turns should do nicely. works for me every time .

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 27, 2019 02:55PM

slip top guide on and just one wrap of gorrila tape to hold the guide works for me

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 30, 2019 12:02PM

I have a handful of those from Lynn. He used regular plastic coated wire and pulled the copper out. Various wire sizes for various tips. If I recall, he then used shrink tubing or crimped a regular snap swivel to the end of the tube to hang a bag of weight from. They work perfectly. Hang and test.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster