I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How can I determine a rods action ?
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: January 24, 2019 08:11PM

I received a rod today and it's supposed to be a fast action rod . I don't think it is as it is very wimpy and seems like a slow action to me . Is there a way to determine the actual action ? As always , TIA
ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I determine a rods action ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2019 08:48PM

Wimpy has nothing to do with action. CC the blank using the info on the CCS Database articles, than you'll have your answer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2019 09:52PM

Action is where the rod initially flexes. Put the butt on the ground and place the palm of your hand on the tip. Push down on the tip a few inches and note where the rod bends. If the bend is mostly in the upper 1/3rd of the blank, you have a fast action blank.

Date: January 24, 2019 10:46PM

Thanks Guys , I'll have to get on a ladder as it's a 10' er but it's doable . Thanks again .

Date: January 25, 2019 08:10AM

Put the butt against the wall and push directly in on the tip. Same difference.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2019 11:53AM

To avoid having the tip get away, I just put the tip of the rod in the corner of the room against the ceiling and the wall.

Then I deflect the blank. Easy to do.

But, it doesn't have to be that complicated.

Just hold the rod blank about 2-3 feet from the tip and deflect the tip. Note where the blank begins to bend.

Be safe

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 25, 2019 12:42PM

Put the rod in a rod holder at an angle so you can grab the tip to pull down.Another option is to brace 12” of the butt on a shelf near eye level with the rod horizontal but at that point I would just do a Common Cents measurement to find the action and power to know for sure. Both ways would be much easier and safer than using a ladder.

Date: January 25, 2019 01:29PM

The CCS won't provide a fast, medium or slow measurement. Different system. It reads out in degrees, not momenclature.

Date: January 25, 2019 03:06PM

Thank you Roger , that was easy .

Date: January 25, 2019 03:20PM

If you hold the blank 2 to 3 feet from the tip and then flex it, it's going to flex above the point where you're holding it. That won't work.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 25, 2019 05:59PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Action is where the rod initially flexes. Put the
> butt on the ground and place the palm of your hand
> on the tip. Push down on the tip a few inches and
> note where the rod bends. If the bend is mostly in
> the upper 1/3rd of the blank, you have a fast
> action blank.
>
> ...............

Tom had it right from the beginning , you can't get simpler than his explanation above . Just make sure to NOT grab the blank anywhere along it's length and then approach pushing down on the tip , just put the butt on the ground (Carpet so it doesn't slide) and deflect the tip . Even i can manage that , i think, can't say for sure though.

Date: January 25, 2019 06:22PM

I put the rod butt in the corner and then raised the tip to the ceiling until it was bending pretty good . Looked like it was a fast action to me but its so darn wimpy . I was going to do the cc thing but no where to anchor eye level or so . Thanks again guys .

Date: January 25, 2019 06:54PM

Don't confuse action with power. Fast action rods can be very stiff or very soft.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2019 10:33PM

It sounds like you have the perfect drop shot or noodle rod with the very soft tip.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 28, 2019 06:22PM

With experience CCS will tell you what you need to know about action. You will, with experience, be able to correlate the numbers with what manufacturers are calling fast, moderate, slow, etc. For example, after testing a number of St Croix blanks you will find the number (action angle) that is the usual number for their fast blanks, or mod, etc. This will be different with different manufacturers, and even different between different types of blanks (fly vs. cast, for example). If you find you like a St Croix that St Croix calls "fast," and you find its AA to be 80, and want another rod from another manufacturer that has a similar action, try to find their blank of the same length that has the same AA. As stated above, action is not power. Continuing with the St Croix example, find a blank from any manufacturer that has the same AA and ERN (power number) and same length and you'll have a very similar blank to the St Croix you liked.

From my measurements a fly blank with what the manufacturers call a "fast" action will have an AA of about 68-70 degrees. A "fast" action spin blank will be 75-78 degrees. An "X-fast" spin blank will be about 80 degrees.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster