I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microlight Rod Blank
Posted by: Bruce Litton (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 10:40PM

I've done some online search, but so far I've found only ultra-light blanks down to 3.5/64 tip size. I need to build a three-and-a-half foot trout microlight, and although the blank can be cut, ideally I need a tip size of 2/64 or 2.5/64. Does anyone know if any this light are available anywhere? It doesn't have to be a spinning blank. I read somewhere of 1-weight fly rods. I could cut one of those.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microlight Rod Blank
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 11:16PM

I haven't got much experience but I do know that Phenix has a blank with a 2mm tip but it's very expensive I wouldn't cut it up. Maybe they have other ones that small.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 11:34PM

Use an ice rod blank. Here’s an example. [www.mudhole.com] Chold also use the replacement tip section for some B ‘n’ M telescoping jig poles, need to call them.
Norm

Date: January 24, 2019 12:47AM

Thanks. I was looking at Mudhole earlier today and didn't see this. A 2.5. I don't like the green section. Does anyone know if there's a paint I could apply that would stay on? Also, does anyone know if any tips smaller than 2.5 exist? Back at the turn of the millennium, there was a microlight on the market paired with a Tiny 20 reel I bought. Solid glass, and the tip is probably lighter than 2.5, but I can't find that rod even on @#$%& (though I can the Tiny 20 reel) & I'm interested in building a microlight anyhow.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2019 10:37AM

It might be possible to use something other than an actual rod blank. Kite shops often sell short, light carbon battens that might work for what you want. Given the parameters you've outlined, plus the requirement for color, you may have to get outside the box to find something suitable.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: January 24, 2019 01:28PM

Not many blanks are smaller than a 3.5 even 0 power fly blanks, Japanese blanks had the smaller tips when I used them years ago.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 24, 2019 04:17PM

A lot of ice rod blanks in graphite or glass in the 3 to 4 foot long range. You can extend the shorter blanks or trim the longer ones, and most ice blanks are solid blanks (not tubular) so they can be sanded to the tip diameter and action that you choose. Most ice blanks are in the $7 to $20 range so no big expense to experiment with them.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2019 06:31PM

Cancelled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2019 06:32PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (107.190.36.---)
Date: January 24, 2019 06:44PM

You can find some Japanese blanks, with the tip that thin, I know TRussel Super Mebaru TR 74 are as follow :
TR74 Super Mebaru-M 7'4" -2 pieces?Put-Over???6lb; cw 0.4-5g Ex-Fast 0.82mm tip 9.2 mm butt ; weight 32g ¥10,560 Carbon Solid Tip
TR74 Super Mebaru-L 7'4"- 2pieces?Put-Over???6lb ; cw 0.4-4g Ex-Fast 0.82 mm tip, 9.1 mm butt ; weight 29g ¥10,340 Carbon Solid Tip

I assume that you can use just the upper part of the blank and trim the butt part short enough to build only the handle on if you would like .

kingofbeasts custom rods

Date: January 24, 2019 11:27PM

Thank you for all the comments! Very helpful. I"m in the process of possibly buying the TR 74. Have contacted customer service on just how lengthy the tip section. Might experiment with ice rod blanks. That's a very helpful pointer--that these blanks are solid and can be sanded.

Date: January 25, 2019 01:00AM

The TR 74 has .82mm solid tips.

If you want thinner, you can also look at TR56 and TR60 with .73mm and .77mm tip respectively. The former is extra ultralight in power.

Date: January 25, 2019 01:18AM

Thanks!

Date: January 25, 2019 01:53AM

Bruce, can you email me? your email is not visible.

By the way, just did the math and realize that the TR56 and TR60 have tips below your specification.

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 01:56AM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 25, 2019 09:14AM

Mo Yang where can I find these blanks?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 25, 2019 12:45PM

I think Japanese Tenkara rods are designed and meant for precisely the kind of fly fishing you describe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster