I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod geeks 2 piece
Posted by: Jeremy Pollack (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 08:36PM

Just got a rod geeks 2 piece 9ft surf rod blank. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to make the ferrule joint look flush? I was planning on doing a wrap on the male end up to where the female part stops but I’m not sure. I’m new to rod building and this is my first build from a new blank. Thank you for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod geeks 2 piece
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 10:32PM

Your gonna need a 4oz spool of thread to wrap from there all the way back to the reel seat. Depending on how thick the blank wall is you may have to make about 4 or 5 passes on top of them. Next will be another 4oz of epoxy to coat all that thread. Just send it back and get a one piece blank.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 10:44PM

If you want a two piece rod leave it as it is, if you want a one piece rod then do as Dennis suggests and send it back. The tip over butt ferrule is an excellent design and works very well. With use the ferrule over lap will gradually wear and the over lap will become greater without the ferrule becoming loose. If you wrap the area immediately below the over lap then the ferrule will become loose with time. So don’t do it!
Norm

Date: January 21, 2019 10:57PM

No, I realize that Dennis. I guess I wasn’t clear enough on what I’m trying to do. I don’t want it flush with the whole bottom end of the rod. I just want to taper up to the female end a short amount. Almost like a stopper, so it’ll almost look like a decorative band and sort of conceal the connection point. I’m thinking it’s not a good idea though since you mentioned that Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 11:04PM

Jer, That normally is not done.You can do it if you like but it adds weight and may have to be removed as it wears in.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 21, 2019 11:14PM

Ok thanks for the advice guys.

Date: January 21, 2019 11:18PM

Also trying to figure out a guide layout. I’ve looked at the library article and also anglers resource gps but it’s not looking right. I’m using American tackle snagless double foot guides, rod is 9ft and a Daiwa bg 3500 20lb braid. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 10:22AM

If you want to disguise the ferrule area,
just wrap the female upper ferrule with a thread color that will blend into the blank color when finished.
We typically would use something like a med gray with no CP on a Charcoal finish blank
Just dab some alcohol on after wrapping to mimic what it will look like with finish on it and see what you think.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 12:55PM

I picked up the RodGeeks surf blank model SRF90MMF2 at last years expo, i went with Fuji's KR concept and it's an absolute rocket launcher and feather light to boot . With a Stradic 5000 with braid up to 20 pounds i went with a KL-H 20 - KL-H 10 and a KL-H 5.5 for the transition train with a KB 5 ( Choker) and size 5 KT 's as runners out to the tip . I should have went with size 4.5 runners as i use size 5 KT's for runners on my heavier surf rods but size 5 still makes a huge difference compared to size 8 or 10 size runners especially when using braid 40 pounds and under.

Can you explain your " It doesn't look right " comment ? I was looking into the American Tackle snagless guides but with no height chart comparing them to the heights of other guides i just went with Fuji's since the heights are listed .

The KR concept GPS info is below :

[anglersresource.net]

Date: January 22, 2019 04:45PM

Herb, by “doesn’t look right” Im talking it comes out to being 9 running guides(11 guides total) with the kr concept..seems like a lot of guides to me. Still new to this so I’m going off the internet. How many guides did you end up with Herb, and did you use single or double foot? American tackle has the height charts of all the guides on their website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 05:12PM by Jeremy Pollack.

Date: January 22, 2019 05:56PM

Jeremy Pollack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, by “doesn’t look right” Im talking it
> comes out to being 9 running guides(11 guides
> total) with the kr concept..seems like a lot of
> guides to me. Still new to this so I’m going
> off the internet. How many guides did you end up
> with Herb, and did you use single or double foot?
> American tackle has the height charts of all the
> guides on their website.

I just took the rod out , it has 10 guides NOT including the tip and it's performance is incredible . The Fuji KR concept is extremely accurate as i tweaked the setup a lot but after continuing to test cast i ended up with pretty much what the KR GPS recommendations recommended the first time i used it . With a 3500 size spinner and 20 pound braid i think you will be blown away as i was by it's performance .

I couldn't find the snagless American guides height when they first came out so i will check it out now , thanks.

Date: January 22, 2019 06:19PM

Thanks very much for the input Herb I really appreciate it. I will be going with 10 maybe 11 guides total, including tip. Just have to order a few more now

Date: January 22, 2019 06:27PM

Your very welcome , i'm convinced you will love it once completed .

I forgot to answer your other question , these are all single foot guides , i prefer them for everything other than the heaviest duty rods that will take a beating .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 06:48PM by herb canter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster