I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave on steelhead rod
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 08:28PM

I have not had the opportunity to use microwave guides yet and I would like to. I am building myself a couple steelhead rods and wondering if they would be the right guides for one. 9'6" spinning 10'6" hotshot and 11'6" float. Thanks as always.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave on steelhead rod
Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 09:30PM

I think they would work well. Match the size of the guide with the size of the reel. Better casting with lighter weights.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 22, 2019 02:05PM

Where and when I fish for steelheads icing guides are often a nuisance and a constraint to effective fishing. I have never used microwave guides in ice-up guides conditions so I don't know how microwaves work in cold conditions, but I'm sure some readers who have could advise you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 03:28PM

If the guides are small, they will ice up.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: January 22, 2019 04:54PM

Here in the Pacific NW we haven't had one day this year's that would ice my guides. Normal years maybe a week and they're bunched together usually, so it depends where you live and the season you fish.
Standard guide train on factory rods you'll save about half the guide weight with a lighter, more handy tip. Using the match guide system I use no advantage at all in weight. Casting performance unknown, all rods you've mentioned I've put a hand on cast further than I can fish the presentation effectively.

Date: January 22, 2019 05:57PM

Thanks, I got some good advise from here not too long ago to use chapstick on my guides for icing and it works. I've been using a 8'6" Cabelas Fish eagle that I picked up dirt cheap and it has micro guides that ice quick.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 07:54AM

If you fish in freezing conditions use the MicroWave 30 system... if not the MIcroWave will work great

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 09:28PM

I fish in freezing conditions quite often my micro wave guides have never been a problem.

Date: January 24, 2019 08:19PM

Thank you don.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster