I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper
Posted by: Brad Kimbrell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 20, 2019 12:54PM

I’d like to hear some opinions on the Pac Bay power wrapper. I have a hand wrapper now and want to upgrade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper
Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2019 02:50PM

I have one and love it. I upgraded to the alps chuck and headstock and highly recommend it.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 20, 2019 07:46PM

The below is a great thread that is only weeks old about how people feel about power wrappers:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The PB wrapper is fine just like the others , the biggest complaints about power wrappers is the "Chuck" so consider purchasing one with the upgraded chuck.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 20, 2019 07:47PM

The need of a power wrapper is a personal choice and many builders would not be without one and just as many do not see the need. I built my own power wrapper when I first decided to start building rods simply because I figured it must be better and I have learned from years of experience it is foolish to skimp on tools. However, I rarely use the power function for actual wraps due to mine being a bit more involved than most, having to start and stop frequently and at a precise point. But when I am doing underwraps or something like a Tiger Wrap, the power ability is a God-send! Another point in favor of a power wrapper is being able to use both hands on the wrap. To be honest, I have delayed employing Roger to make me a proper foot pedal and may use the power function more if I had such. There are veterans on this site who build 300 rods per year and do it all by hand. Others may give up the craft if not for their power wrapper. So the choice is up to you. Any wrap can be performed by hand, but there may be times when power is certainly a help.
This topic seems to pop-up every few months or so. Hopefully you receive many replies to help (or possibly confuse) your decision, but if not it is simply because many may feel it is beating-a-dead-horse.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 21, 2019 07:43AM

I got my pac bay -American tackle wrapper 8 year ago with the upgraded chuck it has held up well. I repair over 100 rod a year with it. if you do get one keep a spare belt on hand as they wear out

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 12:13PM

Brad,
I have 0 interest in drying rods by hand.

I have built many dryers over the years.

This is a picture of a recent one using a variable speed dc motor and a Flex Coat chuck with an integrated clutch. This is really the best of both worlds, since one can dial in the speed that one wants for finish application if you wish, but have the clutch in the head to stop the rod for finish touch up and or application.

Then, once the finish is as one would wish, turn down the dial to the overnight drying speed.

As you can see from all of the various holes in the metal, this base was used for many different setups over the years.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 21, 2019 01:30PM

Roger,
I am in total agreement with you and always use the variable speed, power function of my wrapper for applying finish to my wraps. The rods are then placed in a drying/curing cabinet that I built to avoid dust contaminating the epoxy while they rotate at 9 RPM.
Brad’s wording suggests he was inquiring about power thread wrapping.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 03:05PM

Mark,
10-4 on the use of the power wrapper for thread.

In the same vein as drying by hand, I have 0 interest in wrapping by hand.

Use a high quality power wrapper with excellent control, and the ability to reverse and you won't look back.

Be safe

Date: January 21, 2019 04:24PM

Roger,
One of these days I will employ you to fabricate a proper foot petal for my wrapper as I am certain yours would be much better than anything else available.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster