I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Blank for 2 Hand Over Head (beach)
Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2019 11:42AM

I know most any switch rod blank can be used overhead but most are gear towards spey type cast. Are there any available blanks geared towards overhand blanks? Looking for an 8wt. Beulah make a complete rod in their Onyx series but I don't think they sell blanks for that series. I also have a R Meiser 5/6/7 "S" 11'1" blank but I don't have enough time on it to know if it is idea for overhead casting. I also just finished up a 9wt Deer Creek but have not cast it yet.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Blank for 2 Hand Over Head (beach)
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 12:28AM

Quin,
A friend from the UK (Mike O.) and I spend many $ over 5 years experimenting with custom one-off CTS blanks for just that - a rod we could use on the outer beaches of Cape Cod with the wind at 20 mph in your face..
I started short - 11'0". Mike started long - 14'0"
Mike stumbled on the design first. A 12'9" blank that had the same action as a fast single hander. It may sound simple to extrapolate a 9'0" blank out to 12'9" - but it is not.
Anyway - Mike likes this blank with 530 grains. I like it with 600-650 grains.

There are about 8-10 customers fishing this rod now. One of my customers gets an honest 125' into a stiff wind with 600 rains of a sinking head.
Contact me via email if interested in pricing.
Regards,
Herb
U.S. Distributor Rod Blanks

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 06:55PM

Herb,
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the person I'm building the rod for is not an expert caster like yourself (and Mike) and the thought of him managing a 12'6" rod puts a smile on my face but it will not do the same for him! He is a trout guy and a small stream trout guy at that. I have not doubt he will learn but for now the money is better spent elsewhere. Like casting lessons perhaps.
So my quest continues. Right now I am leaning towards a fast action 10' rod in a 8 or 9wt since I can't seem to find exactly what I want for a reasonable cost. I asked him to give me a final "max" so perhaps I will have more to work with then I think.

Quinn

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 06:28PM

Quinn,
Now I understand fully.
10'0", however, will provide no advantage in 2 handed overhead casting vs a simple double haul - even if you extend it 5-6" at the butt. He will actually get less distance and certainly less line speed.
12'0" is about the length needed to exceed the advantage of a haul. But what I think I am hearing is that even the double haul may be foreign to him. So I would suggest a 11'0" blank.

My focus those years were on 11'0" blanks so I built a few on Switch blanks that I use overhead. You are correct - they don't cut it. So I sent the butt sections (4pc blanks) back to CTS and had them max-out the upper 3 sections to match the butts.
I ended up with pretty good overhead rods. Actually two for one - because I still could use them as switch rods and more powerful OH rods.

I think I have both an 8 and 9wt if you want to have him test them.
CTS is not a "price-point" blank. But at least he would be testing something that exists.
Let me know,
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster