I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly blank choice
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: January 18, 2019 06:25PM

Maybe the title of the topic is not precise enough, but so is my befuddled mind ;-)
A couple of years ago I built a fly rod on a 9' 8wt. 4-piece Batson RX7+ blank. I used the rod a few times and so far it remains a virgin in terms of landing fish. Now my question is: does it make sense to buy an Etermity 2 blank and build a rod on it instead? I have some experience with E2 fly blanks and know I will like it, but I have no direct line weight - to - line weight comparison between E2 and RX7+. Any thoughts, any feedback will be welcome. Mind you, I build rods only for myself and there are times I run short of ideas for new ones, but in this particular case swapping an RX7+ for E2 ... makes sense or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly blank choice
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 07:00PM

Are you thinking that the E2 will improve your landing of fish? The difference between the E2 and RX7 is that the E2 is slightly lighter and faster.

They are both fine blanks, I would build the E2 if you are looking for a faster rod.

Re: Fly blank
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 07:02PM

If by "virgin in terms of landing fish" means you've struck out in getting hits or landing fish that have struck, I don't think a rod change is he magic fix. I have no experience with the RX7 +, but do with the Eternity 2. In both 8 and 9 weight they are more powerful than their specs. They are fast, so cast differently than a typical traditional blank of the same power.

Are you having problems casting the Rx7? If so, please specify in detail. This forum has many fly experts who may be able to help. It would help to specify what your level of expertise in casting is.

More detail will help.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2019 07:09PM

Only if you want another rod....or another line weight.......or you just have the urge to build another rod..........
But that being said, I have several Batson blanks, 2 of which are E2's. I like them. They suit my casting style and I have had no issues landing fish with them. But the truth is I have far more rods than I need, both fly and spin. I, like you build only for myself or as gifts for friends. For me rod building is creating something that you can't buy in the store and this site as well as others give me ideas that I can't wait to expand on. And for me, I would rather catch one fish on something I built than a hundred on something from the store........cost, action, etc. doesn't matter........I built it and that's what counts.....

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 07:44PM

I am NOT a fly guy so i have no recommendations on fly gear but i do have a lot of experience regarding general equipment choices , your comment " I used the rod a few times and so far it remains a virgin in terms of landing fish. Now my question is: does it make sense to buy an Etermity 2 blank and build a rod on it instead" struck me.

I am a die hard surf fisherman and have fished with many different surf rods , i decided to build my own surf rods based solely on my insistence for ultimate performance so i bought very high end blanks and used the lightest guides and least amount of finish that i could get away with , for me it was well worth it. I'm fortunate to be able to squeeze every bit of performance out of them but that wasn't the case when i was a newbie, it took many years of relentless practice .

I guess my point is unless you know you have the talent and technique to ring all the performance out of what a high end rod is capable of you're not going to notice much of a difference . Only when it becomes obvious that your talent level exceeds what a particular rods performance level is capable of producing does it become advantageous to where you will appreciate what a super high end rod can do for you.

Thats a call only you can make .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 18, 2019 09:09PM

I concur with Herb. If you do not double-haul your casts or plan to learn how you will not cast any better with a fast and pricey blank than you would with any other blank.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 10:28PM

The Rx7+ blanks were good blanks and I doubt the Eternity2 is going to be better in any meaningful way. But if you just have the desire to build a new rod, that's cool too. Maybe use different guides, or different spacing or whatever.

Like the original poster, I build for myself and friends.

For me, I have built a pile of 8 weights. I like them all and have given a couple away. Half the fun is building for recreation. That's fine. Do it. But don't think that if the 7+ didn't catch fish that the Eternity2 suddenly will.

Here's how I rank my 8 weights:

St Croix SCV 9.6 8 wt -Best Silver rod ever. Great in every way. Caught dozens of Silvers. My go to for 5 years. Will build a new version to update.

Sage Z axis-excellent. Been around the block a few times but a work horse premium rod. Guessing "The X" is the new top of the line. It might be better, maybe.

Batson Rx8+ Surprisingly excellent. I've had this rod a long time(8 years maybe) and it's still good. Rebuilt with new guides once. Caught fish with it in 2018. Spent a night at the bottom of the Kenai in 2015 and I was happy to get it back. It's going back to Alaska with me this year, no question.

St Croix SC4/2--Don't know why, but these are great rods. Not high tech, but great. They are not expensive but they are superb. If you want an affordable USA made blank, get this.

Pacific Bay Quickline. Hard to go wrong. Very good looking. Extremely good for the $$. I build these for friends who go to Alaska with me. Hard to beat for the price.

Mudhole MHx Very good everyday rod. Good enough for the price. Good warranty.

TFO TiCroX. No longer made but nearly unbreakable and perfectly good. Good back of the truck, knock about rod for cheap.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: January 19, 2019 08:54PM

Thank you all for your comments.

Now to clarify a few points:
- I simply had no opportunity to use the rod during the past couple of years
- I am not an expert caster but I do manage and yes - I double-haul if necessary
- I do not expect an improvement in landing fish, or hooking them at all for that matter
- I was simply wondering how the RX7+ blanks compare against Eternity2
Because I expect to use the rod this year I was thinking maybe the E2 blank would be more fun to cast and to fish in general, but I don't want a Ford - Chevy type of rod swap.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 19, 2019 10:18PM

Michal Rozycki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now to clarify a few points:

> - I simply had no opportunity to use the rod
> during the past couple of years

Well that certainly clears things up , no wonder you weren't catching anything . I would personally go out and use the rod you built and see how it works out for you before deciding on a higher tech model from the same company , you will know pretty quickly if it's suitable and how much you like it .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 04:44PM

Unless you fly fish a lot, I would not bother. Like just about what everyone has said; just get out there and fish with the one you have. Don't take any other rod and your chances go up considerably catching something on it. A different blank is just that and it will have its pros and cons just like the one you have. Use the one you got and then determine what can be improved and build one with those improvements in mind. By then there will probably be a better model out that you would want.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: January 22, 2019 04:05AM

All right, all right. ;-)
The RX7+ stays then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster