I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lightest rigid arbors?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 18, 2019 06:05PM

I'm looking for rigid arbors that is as light possible for maximum sensitivity - to mate between the blank and reel seats. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightest rigid arbors?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 06:21PM

Probably the Fuji hard foam arbors.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 07:05PM

I don't think any human could feel the difference between different RIGID foam arbors. They all weigh next to nothing. Probably the harder the better.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 07:10PM

x 3.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 09:17PM

Hi Mo..yes, you want light rigid arbors but maybe more important you want to use a full length reel seat arbor..this way the arbor is in contact with more of the rod and the arbor picks up more vibration which is passed to more of the reel seat then to your hand..leaving gabs or air in the handle will not transfer much vibration unless your fly fishing which is really expensive handline fishing anyway..lol.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 09:48PM

I like the CFX arbors from mud hole.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 10:18PM

The white poly arbors work very well and are much easier to sand than the much denser and harder Fuji arbors.

10-4 in the comment about using a full length arbor for the full length of the reel seat to transmit the maximum amount of vibration to the hand.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2019 11:04PM

Full length seat arbors won't transmit more vibration nor make the rod more sensitive than if you used less than a full length arbor. Use the shortest and fewest you can and still property support the seat. Less weight means a higher stiffness to weight ratio and that's what makes a rod more sensitive. Granted, as light as these brick-foam arbors are, we'd be talking a miniscule amount.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 19, 2019 12:40AM

Never used an arbor but thats probably because i build surf rods which have much more substantial butt sections which makes it easy to get the seats solidly snug without them . I suppose arbors would be pretty much standard fare for most everything other than surf and heavier duty rods.

Date: January 19, 2019 08:19AM

Often, yes. You want the seat to fit your hand, not the rod blank. This usually entails having a seat with a larger ID than the blank's OD so some sort of arbor or shim is usually necessary.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2019 02:11PM

One avenue to consider is to turn your own arbors. Several years ago, I bought a box of scrap sign foam material (30# sign board scraps) from Atlas Signs and Plaques. This material turns really easily, can be reamed very easily, and can be made into any size you need. I checked (on-line) and they still offer the box of material for $10.00 plus shipping. There is more than enough material in the box to make several arbors.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 20, 2019 03:11AM

Greetings Everyone- THANKS for all the responses. As usual, much much grateful!

Question - what is a 'brick foam' arbor that Tom Kirkman mentioned? And what are 'composite' arbors? Are there arbors hard to the touch like plastic/carbon fiber or are the more like dense foam? Can you tell - I've never used an arbor before....:)

Date: January 20, 2019 06:55AM

hi Mo..you probably don,t need an arbor because you don,t use a reel seat and because you want a very light rod..maybe taping the reel to the handle which makes sense..plus that,s your M.O....lol.

Date: January 20, 2019 08:23AM

Brick Foam are the common foam type arbors sold by Fuji, Pac Bay and others. Urethane types, such as those sold by Flex Coat, are just as good.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 09:55AM

Anyone tried the Pac Bay Omni Arbor???

Date: January 21, 2019 11:02AM

Those are very clever.

Date: January 23, 2019 11:12AM

i never tried the omni arbors but after pouring in all that epoxy they appear to be much heavier than a full length urothane arbor..but i need to try them to see..

Date: January 23, 2019 12:43PM

Ben,
You do realize that you don't fill the arbor with epoxy don't you.
A layer of epoxy on the blank and a layer on the inside of the reel seat, push together and you are done.

[www.youtube.com]

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 12:55PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 23, 2019 01:17PM

hi Roger..it looks like you need to fill the whole reel seat to have any strength..if you do as you say the seat will eventually work loose..the surface of the arbors is so small, they are just dams for the epoxy.. in the video he is skimpy on the epoxy for some reason.

Date: January 23, 2019 01:58PM

Ben,
They designed the arbors and the video is their recommended installation procedure.

It would certainly seem like a reasonable idea to try out their instruction technique and see how it all works out.

I do agree with your thoughts on needing more epoxy, but if the designer says its enough, one should at least try one test rod to prove or disprove his statement.

Be safe

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster