I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide train questions / advice
Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 09:55PM

Greetings builders,

A quick thanks and a question about a new build. I joined you all about a year ago as I was starting my first couple rods. I built a pair of concept rods for myself and my son for last summer's Canadian fly-in trip. They're such great performers they've become (as you all may expect) hands down our favorite rods ever. Thanks to you all for the advice that helped make that happen!

This year, we're filling two cabins and three of us are bringing our sons. I suggested in passing that I could build us all some ML spinning rods and next thing I knew I'm building rods for 8 guys! Me and my big mouth!

Ok, here's the question: I'd like to use concept guide trains but ... can I do that if I don't know what kind of reel will be used?
Appreciate your collective wisdom here.
-MH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide train questions / advice
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 12:14AM

What type and size line will everyone most likely be using and how long will the rods be? I am assuming with ML spin rods the reel size may vary from 1000 to 3000, and will be filled with either light braid or light mono. For braid up to 15# or mono up to 8# with all of these reel sizes, on a 7' rod you could certainly use a reduction train of KL16H, KL8H, and KL5.5M with KB/KT runners of your choice. With the stripper 19" to 20" (with19.5" being a good compromise) in front of the spool, and the choke pt about 21" in front of the stripper. If using heavier line then go with the KL20H, KL10H, and KL5.5M reduction train. If you have no idea as to reels or line build for the maximum and use the KL20H reduction train, it will not affect performance of a small reel with light line, but will help with heavier line and a larger reel. You will still be about 19" - 20" from the spool to the stripper and about 21" from stripper to the Choke guide. If you look at the KR GPS you will find that the guide train layout really does not vary a lot within these reel sizes. The stripper tends to be pushed a littler further out with larger reels and heavier line, but still very clise. The only problem will be that you won't be able to test cast with the reels and line that will used for fine tuning.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 08:34AM

Thanks Norm,
You're spot on about the line sizes and although I don't know for sure on the reels, I'd say those are accurate guesses as well. I'll be able to test cast with about half of the rods but it sounds from your input that I could split the difference on the rest. I was most worried about the placement of the stripper but as I've only built 2 spinning rods didn't realize they were all so similarly placed. Huge help, thanks!
-MH

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 11:32AM

I would go with the train starting with 20. I see no significant disadvantage and it will be more versatile re line pound test and reel characteristics. Like Norm mentions. Keep in mind that these guides are tall and your rod cases need to big enough to handle them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 02:18PM

10-4 on the comment by Michael on starting with a size 20. I also like to make the size 20 - of the tall variety so that there is a straight shot off of the reel to the guide. Then, I would go down to a size 12 and then down to a size 5 for runners.

For this type rods, I always place my stripper or first guide at 19 inches from the face of the reel.

By the way, I use the same setup, whether it is a 5 foot, 6- foot, 7 foot, or 8 foot rod blank. The only difference in the guide train is the number of runners.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster