I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwraps on a 7' 3 Weight Epic FastGlass, Yes or No?
Posted by: Ian ODonnell (---.s9254.c3-0.smt-ubr1.atw-smt.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 16, 2019 07:01PM

Hello everyone,
I posted here a while ago about guides for my first build, an Epic 370 FastGlass. I decided to go with REC Recoil Single Foot Guides and I'm using a Fuji Torzite Single Foot 10 as the stripper. My friend who's helping me recommends using underwraps, but so far, just about everything I've read, has said not to. What do you guys think? He said he has a spool of black 0 gauge thread I could use, which would help reduce the weight. Apparently that size isn't available anymore; he's been doing this since he was a kid and he's in his 60's now, so he has tons of old school stuff and experience. I'm leaning more towards not using them, as I'll be wrapping the ferrules and would like to keep the weight down as much as possible. Right now, I'm at the point where I'm trying to find the best placement for the guides, so if anyone has any good tips on the best way to determine that, I'd appreciate it. The guides are all on the rod with rubber tubing now, and I'd like to read up as much as I can before I tape them down and try casting and stuff. He placed them for me and measured with a ruler, I basically went with the guide sizes recommended by Swift, 10,3,2,1,1,1,1,1,4.5 tip top, instead of 1/0's I stayed with 1's, since single foots only go that low. So far everything looks great, and I'm super anxious to get it done so I can try it, but I definitely don't want to rush things and end up regretting something in the long run.

Thank You,
Ian O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwraps on a 7' 3 Weight Epic FastGlass, Yes or No?
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 16, 2019 07:49PM

Ian

I see no advantage for under wrap for light weight rods unless you want to add a decorative touch to the finished product.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2019 07:58PM

No. Not needed for any practical purpose. Particularly unwise on such a light powered rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 08:08PM

No, you never need to underwrap a rod like yours, and about 99% of any other builds you'll do.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 10:14PM

Read the article in the library about static guide placement. I also believe under wraps on your rod is needless.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 17, 2019 12:10AM

Ian,
No to your particular underwrap question. Guide placement = static loading the blank.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2019 06:34AM

Ian,
Like the others have stated, underwraps are not needed, Epic blanks are made with "reinforcement" material at the ferrule stations, as are many other modern manufactured fly rod blanks. All you will do is add unnecessary weight to the blank.

As for guide placement, Epic should have provided a guide placement chart with the blank, I usually use this as a start point, then tweek the positions with the Static placement method if needed. If Epic did not provide the placement chart, just email them, they are usually very helpful with questions.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 12:31PM

+ 1 on what Bill Hickey said above regarding ferrule wraps and guide placement . I used to wrap ferrules but not anymore , many manufacturers say there is zero need for it these days and all it does is add unnecessary weight . Many still insist on doing it but after i was told that their ferrules would be replaced under warranty is they ever cracked by CTS and St. Croix i have avoided wrapping them and to this day no issues whatsoever .

Regarding guide placement , static guide placement is mostly used for tweaking the running guides as it allows you to see where the guides should go for the best upper rod stress distribution , the library has info on using the "Two line" method for this . I only use the static guide placement for the upper half of the rod after i have the best stripper location and transition train down & thats determined on the reel you choose to use especially with spinners.

Regarding underwraps - never , not unwise on offshore ocean rods that take a beating but everything else , nope .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2019 04:16PM

If this blank truly is "fast" glass then under wraps could be used to slow it down to fit the owner's taste.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 04:45PM

After reading the OP's first post slowing down the blank isn't what he wants , he wants to avoid all unnecessary weight and wants ideas on best guide placement . He needs to figure out what reel , what line and the reels ideal location based on his personal preferences and comfort level . I don't know how other people do it but i like to finish the bottom part of the rod first meaning reel seat positioning and attachment and finishing the rear and foregrip, only after that is decided on will guide layout take place but again thats just me everyone's different.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 09:47AM

No structural need for under wraps. Under wrap for stripping guide only is a neat aesthetic.

For a 3 weight I'd use a 10 mm or 8 mm stripper, a single size 2 or size 1 snake, followed by size 1/0 snakes to the tip top. No idea how best to convert those snake sizes to single foot guides.

Epic guide placement is always close but do always ideal, especially for the upper 1/3 of the guides.

Ferrule reinforcing wraps are dirt cheap insurance and if you read the Epic instructions the wraps are suggested though if memory is correct not mandatory.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2019 01:49PM

You cannot change the action of a blank by the addition of under wraps, nor anything else. You can, however, slow down the speed of the blank, by adding anything that increases the amount of weight it has to carry.

A "fast action" blank will remain a fast action blank, no matter what you do short of cutting it from one end or the other. "Action" is where the rod initially flexes. "Speed" is how fast it reacts and recovers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster