I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding the right blank
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 16, 2019 12:31PM

The only way I can tell if a blank suits me is to cast it, especially if it's a fly rod blank. Determining a blank's CCS data quickly narrows down my options, but there is no substitute for a test cast. The personal taste and casting skill of the rod's user are essential to getting the "right" blank for you or your customer. I am reluctant to recommend a rod blank to someone based upon my preferences, especially if I have never seen this person cast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding the right blank
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 10:23PM

I am in agreement with Phil above as casting is so important with fly fishing.

Fortunately, I have a very large selection of finished rods on various blanks that I can have me clients test cast to at least narrow the choice.

However, there are many other factors that go into a persons rod selection, and I am always amazed at how high many place blank appearance on the scale!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 11:36PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 16, 2019 11:44PM

Phil,
Ultimately, you are probably correct in the need to test-cast a blank to determine if the “feel” is correct for any given angler for any given application whether concerning spinning, casting or especially fly.
Dr. Hannerman graciously and intellectually afforded the entire fishing world with a method/formula to accurately measure the intrinsic power and action angle of any blank or rod, commonly referred to as the Common Cents System, “CCS” as you mentioned. In addition to CCS, the DR. later developed the Common Cents Feel, “CCF” which utilized the original static CCS data and combined a dynamic measurement to afford a quantifiable number to the actual FEEL of any rod or blank. If the original CCS “quickly narrows down my options” as you stated, utilizing CCF could dang-near pinpoint it. But, there exists one obstacle.
I am self-admittedly and graciously a huge supporter of CCS and CCF simply because it works and is better than any other system, method or formula. So much so that I spent a considerable amount of effort to design and fabricate a CCF Fixture for my own blank comparisons and identifications. See “Mark’s CCF Fixture” in the “Equipment and Tools” section under “Photos” if you care to do so. It performs precisely, predictably and repeatedly when used with any blanks or rods, handles or not, I have on hand. But one obstacle does exist as stated earlier. Rod manufacturers fail or refuse to acknowledge the significance and importance of providing such CCS/CCF data with their offerings. Many rod builders may be partly to blame as well. I have learned a very prominent, respected rod supplier and sponsor of this site attempted to include CCS data (I am not sure if CCF was available yet) on their website but experienced so much animosity that they pulled the beneficial information. Now, we are all at a loss. Shame on us! There are a number of reasons why manufacturers hesitate to include CCS/CCF data, but if we all continually stress the importance of such and insist it be included, at least offered, our lives will be made much easier providing the exact blank for any given situation/ request.
I started a similar new topic “Blank Selection Criteria” back in October and while receiving numerous replies, yours included, I received nothing definite or point-on. Let’s see what happens this go-around.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 18, 2019 11:44PM

Phil Ew,
Sorry if scared off everybody else!!! I was looking forward to learning from others replies.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-133.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2019 10:04AM

X3 On casting. Although the CCS is important to the blank the actual finished rod is a combination of guide types, guide placement, reel seat weight and placement and the grip weight and placement. The reel can also change the feel and balance of the rod. I think as far as action goes (this is obvious) slow, fast and anything in between is a personal preference that is important to matching the rod to the person. I personally like fast fly rods but I also like to cast slower rods where I feel more relaxed. Using a fast rod in saltwater hunting fish and going to a small stream with a slow action rod making easy relaxed casts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster