I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Business questions...
Posted by: Greg M. Ray (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 10:00AM

Since my last post received such good advice on buying out rod builders inventory, my questions are fairly straight forward. The gentleman I purchase the rods from said he had help with other builders to complete his orders once his business had grown. Since I'm new at this attempt and can use his credentials, mostly name on rods, which had high reviews. So my thinking was to advertise my specialties, see if I can could get orders with 50% down first and see how it goes? I don't have his inventory until this weekend but to me it wouldn't matter to see if anyone is even interested? I just need to work on pricing and options. My friend who has a shop will help me get started he only does inshore currently, but his place is in a 2 car garage and 3 wrapping machines.

My quote would go along the lines as follows: I have recently purchased all of "joe blows" full inventory of blanks, guides, etc. I already have shop setup to start building custom rods and looking to fill orders first. If you have an interest please PM me and I will respond to your questions.

Can add to my statement or is this the wrong approach?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Business questions...
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 10:18AM

Greg,
Actually, I do think that this is the wrong approach.

It is fine that you purchased the inventory from the source that you did. But, the products that you ship will be the product of your own hands.

For you to say that you purchased the inventory of xxxx, is the same a saying that I bought my guides from aaa, my rod blank from bbb, and my reel seat from ccc.

In a word, customers don't care where the build items were sourced. The customers care if you build, ship, and deliver the rod/s that they hav ordered to meed theirs (the customer's) expectations.

But, it is your choice.

p.s.
However, if you are selling one of the completed rods that you purchased, by all means include the name of the builder in your sales information.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 02:40PM

Greg
I would not think that anybody who wants a rod built is interested in who you bought your inventory from or their skills. They would be more interested in your skills and what you will do to build their rod. Apparently there is a lot more to making custom rods and selling them. But my first aim would be to get my name out there and show potential customers my skills. The money will come later when you build a clientele. So get yourself out there and test the water. Good Luck!

Posted by: Greg M. Ray (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 08:23AM

You all are correct with your comments, evidently have not given this much thought, exactly why I post here, to a point clueless...Joe Blows audience are not rod builders ,more so where very loyal followers. Joe's business was successful as Roger stated "build, ship, and deliver the rod/s that they have ordered" he did exactly that. I understand what your saying, I have show them rods I've built and restructure my introduction and how I represent myself. I will have the exact layout and patterns he has with extensive notes. I will build a few rod's first list them for sale. My thinking was he still has clientele to some degree, however if my attempt is to get there attention, I'll need to prove myself. I do not want to come off as arrogant or cocky and assume they will like me like they did him which had been my thinking to this point. I will speak to him and get his input about my efforts. Thanks you guy's for your assistance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster