I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quickline vs Arctos
Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2019 01:05AM

I want to build a super fast 8wt for bonefish, and was looking at the Arctos and Quickline blanks. Anybody know how they compare?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quickline vs Arctos
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 14, 2019 12:26PM

Looks to me like Pac Bay has taken the Quickline CCS data out of their catalog. Too bad. I seem to remember that the Arctos fly rods are a little slower than the Quickline. The Quickline 8 is a very nice bonefish rod, a beautiful gloss black blank. I have CCS data on it, but not the Arctos.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2019 04:48PM

I have a catalog with Quickline CCS data. If you tell me which blanks I''ll post it.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2019 04:54PM

My experience with the Arctos is that they are a bit faster, and a lot more true to their advertised specs

Ron Weber

Date: January 14, 2019 05:54PM

Pac Bay says the Arctos is not as fast as the Quickline and are more true to their advertised line weight rating. Quicklines are on the high side. They have not published Arctos CCS. They are very positive on how the Arctos rods cast. So if action speed is your primary goal, Quickline, according to Pac Bay, is your choice between these two. But there are other factors in how rods cast other than action speed. I don't find the Quickline to be especially hard to cast,

The Quickline AA is 69, ERN 9.1. My 8 wt RS Eternity 2 is about 70 degrees and 9.6 ERN . (My data, which in the case of the QL agree well with Pac Bay data. ) In my opinion the Eternity 2 I have is in fact more powerful than the QL. I use a Rio Bonefish Shooter 8 wt line with it. That line is well over the specs for weight in the first 30 feet. It "gets started" easier than the regular 8 wt lion I used to use, loading the rod better "earlier."

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2019 08:02PM

Quickline CCS:

[merricktackle.com]

Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.bln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 14, 2019 10:16PM

I emailed pac bay about this, and to summarize, I was told the Arctos are true to weight, but still fast. I built an 908 quickline and it is very fast and light. I use it with a 280gr streamer max short and a 325gr airflo 40 plus and the rod can definitely throw line. Not nice to cast up close though. I built it with rec single foots with a fuji titanium stripper and its stupid light.

Date: January 15, 2019 11:22AM

Since I know that QL's prices vary a lot depending where you buy, I expect Arctos to be the same, so shop around our sponsors.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: January 15, 2019 01:37PM

Utmost to the left has consistently good prices, service, and shipping costs. They are very close to Pac Bay and Batson and knowledgeable in both.

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2019 11:49AM

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 22, 2019 02:52AM

Just an FYI. I went with the Quickline from H&H (25% off sale) and am going with black chrome single foot guides, pretty much like I usually do. Black guides, wraps and reel seat. Haven't decided on grip yet, burl cork or black carbon fiber. May experiment with a black dye on cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster