I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork SB 540 Build
Posted by: Josh white (68.16.13.---)
Date: January 14, 2019 12:44AM

I’m working on a casting rod for panfish for a customer. The knowns as of yet are the blank which I have from North Fork and the grips which are 5 1/2in long straight rear grip made from long leaf pine bark. It was my first try on the bark grips and they look great thanks to the help from the board here. I’m aiming for a dark grip, unfinished blank, a black thread and very modest pops of color with trim bands here and there with titanium recoil guides. A couple questions I have are on reel seats and trim accent parts. First any suggestions on reel seats for this build. I’m a hard lean towards a 1 piece seat right now with the exception of thoughts of a 2 piece seat with the pine covering the blank between the seat. The Second thing is I really like the look of a thin flat all metal butt cap fighting butt and the ability to have a simple engraving there. Really any sporty, original, classy, ideas that may can be produced to even a source for something that’s premade. From seats to guides or any other part of the build feel free to comment with ideas and even corrections I’m just rolling things around and need help making my mind up! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork SB 540 Build
Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2019 09:25AM

Did you make the pine bark rings?

Posted by: Josh white (---.sub-174-223-7.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2019 12:00PM

Yes took the bark from a tree, dried them down, cut plugs with hole sole on drill press. Glued them together and sand them down. It went really well just a lot of dust and a lot of waste as in it took a lot more bark than I expected to get quality rings that I could glue up.

Posted by: Josh white (---.sub-174-223-7.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2019 12:48PM

The only real challenge I ran into with the bark grips was getting the face or glueing surface square so that the ring was the same thickness all the way around. Since it was my first attempt I only eyeballed this and without a micrometer you wouldn’t notice the difference. I did however end up with each individual ring (about 30 in total) varying in thickness from one to another. The reason being is some rings after boring would have maybe an 1/8in of usable surface other rings maybe had 3/4in and everywhere in between. So I took the thickest rings and cut them into and made two rings. I then grouped the rings with others coincidently there same thickness. I ended up with 5 groups of 6 or so rings each. I then glued them up taking one ring from each pile thinner to thickest and then back to thin to keep some sort of pattern and my sanity. I will be doing other bark grips and will come up with a user friendly way to get perfect in thickness rings before the next build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster