I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drop Shot Question
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 12, 2019 11:24AM

Norm not trying to start anything, I agree in construction the x Ray and pb are similar. In my hand I don’t find the point blank above the IM in terms of sensitivity. The pb’s are wonderfully powerful and definitely have a place. I have recently put some of the X-ray blanks I’ve built on the water. I think its the best Northfork has come out with yet. The guys I fished with all have HM’s that I have built and all were in agreement the X-ray are well above the HM regarding sensitivity.

I am very interested to hear the results from the comparison. Please let us know your results

Have a good one

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 11:49AM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2019 01:30PM

That’s one of the great things about rod building, everyone has different likes, and dislikes based on tastes and perceptions; and everyone is entitled to their opinions. I find the PBs one of the most sensitive rods I fish, and that’s my opinion. I’m also not trying to start anything.

As some of you may know, over the past few years I have made up and used various blanks from almost all of the high end blank manufacturers. I have also made up and used a bunch of the medium and low cost blanks from various manufacturers. I got to the point that I was very tried of hearing about what blanks are the best, based on opinion. So I went out and bought various blanks from all of them so I could compare them and make my own determination of what I like for the way I fish. I can honestly say that there are a lot of very good blanks out there, even among the medium and lower priced blanks. Thus I try not to knock any manufacturers blanks. To me sensitively and feel are very subjective terms, since everyone has different perceptions and this is influenced greatly on the components used. it is very difficult, if not impossible, to objectively measure feel and sensitivity, in this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have found that more objective measurements such as CCS measurements and physical weight are more important in describing blanks than the subjective characteristics of feel and sensitivity. Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not give CCS values, so descriptions fall back to being subjective based on individual perceptions and tastes. If everyone had the same tastes and perceptions, then everyone would like raw oysters. Personal preference is another thing that makes a custom rod custom. Just my thoughts on this issue.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 12, 2019 03:25PM

Norman I too have done like you and have gone out and built all that I have an interest in.
I agree there are many great blanks out there. I was pleasantly shocked by the mid tier blanks especially. I have built on scv’s, k2’s,eternity 2’s, point blank and many others as well. Your point is very well stated , sensitivity is completely subjective. I have people who rave about rods that I think are clubs. Always look forward to hearing others opinions.

Tom

Date: January 14, 2019 06:21PM

David - just for comparison purposes, your NFC DS6107-1 has a published IP = 316 gm. No wonder you you thought it was lacking in backbone, it is a very light powered rod. Some of my crappie rods are more powerful.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2019 08:34PM

Norman, thank you very much for taking the time to post the CCS numbers you measured on the Point Blank, blank, and the Eternity blank that Eric mentioned. I know that took some time for you to do, and I truly appreciate it. The IP numbers make sense to me because I have done the CCS IP check on a couple of my factory rods, as well as a Quickline SJ782 blank that I built on. The SJ782 has an IP of 552 so I have an idea of the kind of power you're talking about.

As far as the numbers you provided for the DS6107 blank. Thank you for posting those as well. And yeah, it's a noodle alright lol I was actually thinking it would probably make a nice steelhead rod. It's definitely not a rod I have a lot of confidence in when I'm using it in a tournament. It's a shame too, because it's probably one of the prettiest rods I've built. Nothing fancy, it just has an elegant look to it.

Anyhow, I have to build a new one and am still in the internal debating process. I am in love with the 2 NFC X ray blanks I'm building on right now, and they're still having a great sale on them, so I am considering an X ray SJ732 blank as well. It's lure weight ratings are 1/8 - 3/8 oz. Same as the DS 6107, so that kind of worries me, but it's a spin jig blank so it should have more backbone. The Quickline blank I mentioned above also has the same 1/8 - 3/8 oz lure weight rating and is also a spin jig blank, and its IP is 552. It has a great backbone. Just wish I wasn't leery of their durability.

Decisions decisions lol

Date: January 15, 2019 09:52PM

David - The NFC SJ762HM has a published IP= 462gm, the NFC SJ762IM has an IP=400, neither the HM and IM models have 7’3” SJ. I ordered and received a NFC MB736 X-ray but I think it’s a SJ736 based on it butt diameter (0.58” vs O.49”), so I think they sent me the wrong blank. It’s IP = 647gm, my measurement. Based on these numbers I think the X-ray SJ732 with be somewhere in the 450gm range +/- 10%. The PB731MLF has a published IP = 599 gm., it’s more powerful, and at this time also more expensive, but there is no delay in getting it. Both are excellent blanks. IMO, The PB blanks are for the most part similar to SJ blanks, fast tips lot of power in the butt.
Norm

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 15, 2019 10:55PM

Norm Miller what does CCS and IP stand for.

Date: January 15, 2019 11:23PM

CCS stands for Common cents system. IP means intrinsic power, it is the amount of weight required to bend a rod 1/3 its total length, and give a relative value for the rod’s power. It gives one a way to compare various blanks to each other, and it’s fairly easy to do IP measures you just have to make sure the butt end of blank is secured firmly to get a good measurement. You can read all about the Common Cents System here.
[www.common-cents.info]
Norm

Posted by: Razvan Matei (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: January 16, 2019 08:48AM

Were there an older/eternity1 version of the ETES610MXF? Because it is listed with a .375 butt (when the manufacturer lists it .486) and it's probably the flimsiest blank mentioned in the thread. Also, rodgeeks has a carbon4 blank that weighs 2.3oz (bass2 version is 3oz and bass4 is 2.7). Lamiglas used to propose heavy blanks for sensitive fishing/dropshot, with many, back in the day, advocating in the favor of kevlar wrapped butt section for increased sensitivity. In other parts of the world, solid carbon tips are the rave.

[www.justace.co.jp]

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 02:12PM

Thanks Norman I appreciate your help.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 11:32PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David - The NFC SJ762HM has a published IP= 462gm,
> the NFC SJ762IM has an IP=400, neither the HM and
> IM models have 7’3” SJ. I ordered and
> received a NFC MB736 X-ray but I think it’s a
> SJ736 based on it butt diameter (0.58” vs
> O.49”), so I think they sent me the wrong blank.
> It’s IP = 647gm, my measurement. Based on these
> numbers I think the X-ray SJ732 with be somewhere
> in the 450gm range +/- 10%. The PB731MLF has a
> published IP = 599 gm., it’s more powerful, and
> at this time also more expensive, but there is no
> delay in getting it. Both are excellent blanks.
> IMO, The PB blanks are for the most part similar

> to SJ blanks, fast tips lot of power in the butt.
>
> Norm

Norm you were spot on with your speculation of the power of the X Ray SJ 733. I measured mine at 465 grams.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster