I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drop Shot Question
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: January 09, 2019 11:19AM

So guys I have a build I am doing for myself that is pretty specific to a lake I fish. Last year I used my ML Castaway blank I had built up on the lake to drop shot largemouth (biggest was in the 6 range), but regularly see 4-6 pounders here. My issue was two fold:

1. This lake has a TON of millfoil, and often fish deep edges here, with the ML I tended to stay loose on the drag and had some control issues with the heavy weeds and light line
2. When I am not fishing weed I am targeting deeper rock walls that are shale and covered in zebra mussels. So lots of break offs

My goal is to build a slightly more powered Drop Shot/Shakey Head blank that will still be responsive, but also give me a bit more backbone when fighting. I will more than likely run 12# Braid to Flouro 8-10# leader or even a bit larger if I can get away with it. I know I can tighten down on the drag a bit more, but the ML around the weeds was pretty tough for control without running the risk of breaking off. On this lake the weeds are plentiful and thick, fishing weed edges is an art with a spinning rod.

I have no issues on other lakes, it's just this one lake, but we have a house on the lake, and I am tired of losing solid fish because of the setup... What blank do u feel will give me that added leverage initially - I was considering going to a 7+ footer.... Don't wanna overpowered the presentation, but want something a bit more aggressive for the conditions, and most of my finesse rods are really ML to Light. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop Shot Question
Date: January 09, 2019 11:21AM

Weights are mostly 1/8 to 1/4 as well - and I know the Zebra Mussels are an issue not controlled by the rod. More line management than anything else.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2019 02:48PM

Check out the Point Blank rods available through Anglers Resource. I have built a number of them and I have been very impressed with them. A great tip with plenty of back bone.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2019 06:12PM

I agree with Donald. The Point Blanks make exceptional rods, they are very light, sensitive, fast, and very powerful. The PB701MLF and the PB731MLF only weigh 1.76 oz each, yet have Intrinsic powers of 570 gm and 599 gm, respectively.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2019 09:09PM

Personally I power shot deep weed edges. Meaning I use my pitching and flipping rod and 20# fluorocarbon. Usually 3/8 - 1/2 oz weights and depending on what bait I'm using, I use Owner Wide Gap Plus hooks in anywhere from 3/0 - 5/0. And I fish the bait Texposed. I'm not giving the fish a chance to get me in the weeds.

For me, light line and lighter power rods are for open water smallmouth. Which brings me to a question related to this thread that I hope Jay doesn't mind my asking. My current drop shot rod built on an NFC DS6107, just doesn't have the backbone I was hoping for, so I am looking to build another blank. What I am looking for in my new drop shot rod is a light tip like the DS6107 has, but a spin jig blank power curve. The Point Blank PB691 MXF looks like it might be what I am looking for. Anyone have experience with that particular blank?

It looks like it may be one Jay might consider as well.

Date: January 09, 2019 09:38PM

I have the PB691MXF made up as a spin rod. Fantastic rod, very sensitive, weighs just 1.76 oz and has an IP of 603 gm. Has a very fast tip with a lot of back bone. It is not your typical M powered blank, it is more powerful than most, and will easily cast a broader range of lures than listed. Fantastic with both jigs and topwater soft plastic jerk baits. In fact it is a very good all around rod.
Norm

Date: January 10, 2019 09:15AM

Never used a 6'9 for drop shot, though I assume the shorter rod may even add to sensitivity - my neko rig is 6'9 but ML to Light powered. My only issue with the blank is I feel it may be more geared towards what Norman eluded to and that is jerkbaits and walking baits. Again I don't have the blank, so purely going on specs and previous experiences with other blanks, though I know this is a whole different beast.

Curious too on Hydra Blanks, as I could envision even one of the 3 Power Mag blanks being a suitable option... Not sure on the SJ812 or 842 - listed as a 2.5 power ML, may be too similar to the Castaway I am using already.... BUT the SJ813 could fit the bill I assume as well.

That being said any opinions on the following:

Pac Bay Quickline Spin Jig Blank 7'6 Med QLS903
| 8-17 lb. | 1/4 - 5/8 oz. | Fast Action

Figure I can cut this down a few inches if needed. The Quickline seems like it would fit the mold of a slightly more powerful drop shot option.

Too many options hahaha.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 11:57AM by Jay Burns.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2019 10:59AM

Here is a link to a MHX Drop Shot Blank that was designed to fish around vegetation or dense cover. The rod blank still has good tip action for presentation of drop shot technique. It is less than 7', which actually provides more leverage when fighting a fish. [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 11:01AM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Rodgeeks Rod Blanks (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2019 12:34PM

We have a blank designed for drop shot- sensitive tip with medium heavy power. Has the sensitivity in the tip, plus the backbone you need to fight the fish.

[rodgeeks.com]

Date: January 10, 2019 06:21PM

Norman, thank you for your description of the PB691MXF. I like what you're saying and I am seriously considering it.

Jay, I built a spinning rod on a Hydra NG series SJ 2 power .... listed as 2.5 power. I built on the 7' blank, but I was just looking on their website just now, and the 7'6" blank may be your only option. The listing on the site is odd. I don't know if that means they don't sell shorter versions of that blank anymore, or perhaps they're currently out of stock on them. A call to them will be well received, and they can't answer any questions you may have. Alex, the owner, is an awesome individual and will take great care of you.

Anyhow, I built the rod as a shaky head/ light line tube jig rod. I really like the rod. Sensitivity is about what the NFC IM series blanks are, and it has really good power. Other than docks, I don't really fish spinning rods around any kind of substantial cover, so I can't say how well it would turn a fish. But I have caught a few 3 lb largemouth with it, and it handled them quite well.

As for the Quickline blanks. They are awesome blanks. I built 2 spinning rods on their SJ782 and loved them. I still have one, but I broke the other one. An accident in my boat. Very light, and very sensitive. I will say that while I love the blanks, they are the only blanks I've built on thus far that I felt I had to baby. Outstanding blanks though.

I must admit I am liking what the person from Rod Geeks mentioned. A little more power than I may want for where I fish a drop shot, but I love the idea of the soft tip. That soft tip really helps feel those pressure bites.

Date: January 11, 2019 09:52AM

The RodGeeks option is very intriguing but the listed weight on the website is 3 ounces, which is a pretty hefty blank. Like the concept but thinking that may be a bit heavy overall. David the Quickline blanks, are you implying they are not as durable an option?

Date: January 11, 2019 04:07PM

Jay, your thoughts on the RodGeeks blank matches mine. Definitely heavier than what I'd want to build a drop shot rod on.

As far as the Quickline blanks durability goes. I don't want to make it as if I am bad mouthing the blanks, because they really are very very nice blanks. I also can only speak of one particular blank. The SJ782. That particular blank would not be a blank I would try to horse a fish out of, or away from cover. I'll just say that they wouldn't be my choice for the picture you've painted.

Date: January 11, 2019 04:41PM

So the more I look that Point Blank PB691MXF and the Hydra SJ813 maybe be my better options. Thanks for the input David, always seem to get good advice from you and the rest of the board!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 11, 2019 04:49PM

What about an eternity2 etes610mxf? It Is the replacement for the Rx8 822.5 which many have considered to be the holy grail for drop shottin. If you want a little more power you could go to the etes68mf or the etes72mf. I have built the later and it is an awesome awesome blank

Tom

Date: January 11, 2019 04:52PM

Jay just a quick note call Alex at Hydra. He is a great guy. Very personable, knowledgeable and his suggestions will be spot on as he too is a bass guy

Date: January 11, 2019 09:48PM

Jay? Are you feeling like super ball that is bouncing around inside a room? I know I am lol This thread of yours is really helping me out as well. Thank you for starting it. I personally have been reading a lot of praise heaped on the Point Blank rod blanks. So much so that I am this close >< to pulling the trigger on one, and then Thomas has to go all Eternity2 on me lol (no offense meant Thomas, quite the contrary) I absolutely love Rainshadow blanks and the ETES610MXF blank has been at the top of my "gotta build a rod on that blank" list ever since they went to a natural graphite finish.

My problem is, this new drop shot rod I want to build is probably going to be the last rod I build for some time. I only build for myself, and I'll be pretty much set as far as rods go after building the 2 NFC X ray blanks I have, and the new drop shot rod I want to build.

Decisions, decisions ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 09:50PM by David Baylor.

Date: January 11, 2019 10:31PM

You can never have enough. I forgot to mention the 5c610 mxf from croix. It will have PLENTY of power. I used mine as a Shakey Head rod using finesse worms in timber. Caught multiple fish in 4-6 lb range and easily muscled em out of the pole timber. If I had to build just one it would be the eternity. I have built on the point blanks and while nice they IMO are not in the same class as the Eternity. PB would equal Northfork IM or the Immortal in terms of sensitivity yet have more power. I got all of the above mentioned from Bingham.

Hope this helps

Tom

Date: January 11, 2019 11:40PM

David, you might be interested to know that Al Jackson designed both the Point Blank and the NFC X-ray. They are both scrimless high modulus high-end blanks made using a simiar technique and materials. The X-ray blanks have a much rougher surface because they are not sanded, which saves money for NFC. But otherwise they are very similar. When I got my first X-ray blank, I thought it seemed very similar to looks and feel to my Point Blanks, and when I did some research I found that they where both designed by Al Jackson, Al Jackson has been around for a long time, was involved with the Lew’s Childre Speed Sticks, was with GLoomis and helped design the original GLX Rods. He was involved with Duckett Rods for a while, and maybe some other companies. He designed the Point Banks for Anglers Resource. He then got involved in Edge Rods, and designed the X-ray for NFC. I’m in the process of getting both a Point Blank and a X-ray blank that have similar listed specifications so I can compare one with the other. I will give my opinions when I have both in hand and do some comparisons.
Norm

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: January 12, 2019 02:48AM

Light tip but with huge power hard to beat Eternity ETES68ML (ETES 610MXF tip slightly heavier with less power in the butt).

Date: January 12, 2019 11:01AM

Just measured the CCS IP for both the PB691MLXF (IP=522 gm, my measurement, listed IP= 512gm), the Eternity ETES68M (IP= 415 gm, my measurement). Did the measurements as made up as spin rods for both. The PB691MLXF blank is listed to weigh 1.58 oz and the ETES 68M is listed as 1.3 oz. The PB ML is more powerful than the Eternity M by a fair amount. However the Eternity is a little lighter.. Both are extremely sensitive.
For Thomas - The PB Blanks are more comparable to NFC X-ray than the are to NFC IM, which is also very nice blank.
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster