I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can you cut a blank?
Posted by: Mike V (---.haywd2.sfba.home.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 05:40PM

I'm new to this hobby so here's another question:
I am considering buying a couple of the Lamiglas "S" glass "blem" blanks to make a fiberglass cranking rod for bass fishing and they only come in the 7' length. Although I like 7' rods it might be handy to have a 6-1/2' one also. Is it possible to cut these blanks or do I need to buy a shorter blank from another manufacturer?

Thanks

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you cut a blank?
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: November 20, 2001 06:40PM

Yes you can, but depending on the rod, how much you cut can impact the performance substantially. I've cut from both ends to achieve a specific feel in the rod, and I've made big mistakes. Now I cut a little and feel, cut a little more a feel again. Another thing to remember is that the rod will perform faster or slower, depending on the weight of the components, when their attached compared to the feel of the blank without anything on it. In other words-how the blank feels before you put your guides, reel seat, and handle, will feel different once there all on and finish is applied. I'm by no means an expert here. This takes time and alot of experience to acurately predict what actions have an equal an opposite reaction. Try to remember balance as well. I'm struggling with that aspect, but I'm sure others on this site will pitch in give some important words of wisdom on this subject. Good luck

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 08:12PM

I'm pretty sure that no matter which end you cut from the blank will become less fast in action. Cutting from the butt makes it less fast and less powerful. Cutting from the tip makes it less fast and more powerful. That seems to be the gist from the better rod builders on this board.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 21, 2001 05:15AM

I belive a book by Dale Clemens called FIBERGLASS ROD BUILDING can answer all your question about makeing a 2 piece rod from one long blank. I recomend you make your rod by using the spicket meathod. What I mean is to put a plug in the butt end and push it thru the cut end and form fit it to the top half.
Good luck Bob. For more detail give Todd a e mail at Lamiglas
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 21, 2001 08:56AM

Yes you can cut it and as long as your are removing a drastic amount you won't change the overall blank very much. But there are so many blanks in such a wide variety of lengths and powers available today that you might be better off just buying the exact model that will fit your needs.

Keep in mind as well, that most manufacturers will void the warranty if you alter the blank. That would usually include changing the length by cutting or extending it.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 21, 2001 08:08PM

My own opinion is that if it's a crankbait rod, I would cut it from the butt, but you should some of the advice that preceded this post. Bob Vasko

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster