I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX vs. Quickline comparasion 9wt
Posted by: Tamas Toth (---.82.25.182.pool.invitel.hu)
Date: January 08, 2019 04:58PM

Hi Mates,
A friend of mine and me plane to build 9wt fly rods for the next pike season.
We are both interrested in MHX blanks (Traditional line, NOT the Native). I have a Quickline 8wt as my main pike fishing rod, and I use it with great satisfaction, but I'm open to MHX. My question is, how do the two blanks compare? Does one of them perform better then the other at the higher line weights? Or does one of them have a major advantage over the other? And Which one would you pick from these two?
My friend is a fan of Redington predator rods, so if someone has experience with the Predator and MHX, his words are also welcome. :)

Thank You for your advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX vs. Quickline comparasion 9wt
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 08, 2019 07:05PM

Ask MHX for their CCS data, then compare to the published Quickline data.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2019 10:10PM

Michael and Tamas,

The CC data MHX fly blanks is in the resource section of the MHX site.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2019 12:11AM

Quickline 9 wgt - weight 1.9 oz, tip 4.5, butt 0.38", ERN 10.7, AA 68

MHX 9 wgt - weight 2.1 ox, tip 4.5, butt 0.43", ERN 10.16, AA 69

Norm

Posted by: Tamas Toth (---.pool.invitel.hu)
Date: January 09, 2019 03:23AM

Thank You for your words!
I forgot to write, I have read the CCS data previously. I was more interrested in the casting performance and the behaviour during playing a fish. I would say, I'm more interrested in your personal impressions.
We would use it on lakes where mostly medium distance (50-60 ft) accurate casts are required, often in windy weather. The lake is full of weed, logs, bushes etc.
Thank You for your advice!

Tamas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 03:28AM by Tamas Toth.

Date: January 09, 2019 08:59AM

I have a Quickline 8 and my sona Quickline 6. I've used both, mostly on bonefish. Both cast well, both do well with bonefish. No experience with MHX. The 8 was built with single foot wire guides, the 6 with snakes. Notice the high ERN's of both which indicate both probably will cast better up one line weight. Thanks Spencer for the tip on MHX data, learned something today.

Date: January 09, 2019 08:59AM

I have a Quickline 8 and my sona Quickline 6. I've used both, mostly on bonefish. Both cast well, both do well with bonefish. No experience with MHX. The 8 was built with single foot wire guides, the 6 with snakes. Notice the high ERN's of both which indicate both probably will cast better up one line weight. Thanks Spencer for the tip on MHX data, learned something today.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2019 10:16AM

Most rods in the upper line weights are designed to cast longer distances so you may not wish to upline. When you see an ERN of 10.7, that does not mean that you should necessarily use a 10-weight line. If you casting shorter, say 30 to 50 feet, then yes a 10-weight will work better. But if you're holding more line in the air and casting longer distances, a 9-weight line will probably be the ticket.

Posted by: Tamas Toth (---.pool.invitel.hu)
Date: January 10, 2019 07:45AM

Thanks for the valuable thoughts for You all.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2019 11:03AM

Tastes differ. Before I lay out several hundred dollars for materials and several hours' worth of rod building I test-cast the rods I consider buying. Other folks' opinions of fly rod blanks differ as widely as other people's fly-casting skills. Membership in a teaching fly-fishing club allows me to test cast and compare a wide variety of fellow-members' fly rods before I buy a blank for myself. Before I suggest a blank to others I advise them to test cast a rod built on that blank - using a quality fly line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster