I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank preperation after paint.
Posted by: Dondi Rogers (207.144.143.---)
Date: January 07, 2019 09:09AM

I want to paint my blanks. Is there a special kind of paint I should use? Also, after paint is there a specific sealer/finish I should use over the paint to protect it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank preperation after paint.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2019 10:24AM

And then you'll need something over the sealer-finish to protect that... On and on. You can easily wind up with so much paint, sealer, finish, etc., that you greatly undermine the rod's performance.

Do as little as possible. Most any quality enamel will work. Better yet, tint some PermaGloss and use that. I'd stop short of putting further coatings on top of either. Let the paint or urethane do what it was designed to do.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2019 04:37PM

Dondi

I think the PermaGloss with tint is the best way to go.

Paint, PermaGolss or any other coating on a blank is a finish and should be protected.

I always apply a coat of paste wax on my rod after I clean it with soap and water.

The paint, PermaGloss or other finish is intended to be permanent and should be protected, the wax is intended to protect the finish and is not a permanent treatment it is sacrificial.
The wax tends to fill in voids and fine scratches and tries to form an even surface which makes it shinier. The wax also makes the surface “slippery” and somewhat resistant to minor scuffs and rubs, also the wax makes the rod easier to keep clean (fish slime, stains and other contaminants).

Cleaning the rod with soap and water before applying a coat of wax minimizes wax build up so in theory there is rarely more than one coat of wax on the rod.

I clean and wax my rods regularly and they look and perform great.

Have Fun.

John

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 06:28PM

Dondi,
All my personal fly rods are raw carbon for the reason mentioned by Tom.I do, however, give them a light coat of a good wax that contains carnauba.
Herb

Posted by: herb canter (77.111.246.---)
Date: January 07, 2019 08:05PM

If ultimate protection is what you want nothing beats Permagloss imo , best thing about it is that it's a very hard durable coating while adding less weight when compared to automotive type paints seen on blanks these days . Achieving a beautiful smooth and even finish is easy with permagloss while traditional paint is not nearly as easy and the last thing you want to do is apply multiple coats of paint on a rod blank to make it look professionally done , the weight difference is easily noticeable .

I use to think paint didn't add noticeable weight but i was very wrong , when i compared two painted blanks to the same blanks without finish i was shocked , they were noticeably heavier .

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-174-198-17.myvzw.com)
Date: January 07, 2019 10:34PM

What product is best to tint PG?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 10:46PM

Marbling pigments or pigments from testors enamels. I have used PG and pigments on small scale projects but not to color a blank. Worked well.
Norm

Posted by: Dondi Rogers (207.144.143.---)
Date: January 08, 2019 08:55AM

Thanks Guys. I will tinting some Perma Gloss

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster