I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

aero spinning seat
Posted by: josh keller (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 10:07PM

looking to build a few high end spinning rods (x ray blanks), and have settled on the aero comfort seats. Id like to use split grips and prefer the winn since i fish a lot of cold winter weather. Is there any of the winn grips that match up nicely to these seats? I have large hands, so i think id prefer the 17mm, but will use the 16mm if they fit better.

looks like these will line up pretty well with the 16mm?

[www.mudhole.com]

Also, I'm looking to get some tapered winding checks to avoid needing a foregrip, is there a general rule of thumb of approx how much taper down there will be from the butt measurement (in this case .59") to where the grip would likely approx be? for instance 12 - 14" above the butt? Id like to order the winding checks and get them CLOSE and not have to pay shipping twice on a small part that will hold up the build.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 10:53PM by josh keller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: aero spinning seat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 11:44PM

The same grips that fit behind a casting reel seat slip inside the pocket on the 17 mm seat, at least the ones I've used. Tell your supplier where the reel seat will end and they can fit your checks to the blank at that point. Same with your tip top, the tip isn't always the size listed on the catalog.

Date: January 07, 2019 01:37AM

This really makes me wish I'd have bought blanks from someone who responds to emails much better than NFC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 02:57AM

Josh,
With large hands you will like using the size 17 Aero reel seat.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

One option with an Aero reel seat is to take a cork ring - or other handle material and reduce the size on one side to fit part way into the reel seat and let the end protrude very slightly to form a tapered edge on the front of the reel seat.
It creates a nice finished look with out the use of a winding check or leaving an empty hole in the end.

Best wishes

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2019 09:11AM

Nice tip, Roger.......I've built a number of rods using that reel seat but have not thought to finish one that way........definitely sounds easier than the epoxy ramps I've done......

Posted by: Josh Hutchison (---.sub-174-231-165.myvzw.com)
Date: January 07, 2019 09:55AM

Josh,
The Winn grip handles you referenced in your post do fit a size 16 Aero seat quite well. I’ve done quite a few builds with them and they turn out nice. Also, instead of winding checks I use a hidden thread sleeve from the Fuji TVS line (size 16). Couple that with an EVA foregrip designed for the hidden thread sleeve and it looks great and hides the threads on the reel seat as well.

Date: January 07, 2019 11:17AM

I've actually thought of going to a plumbing supply and getting o rings to fill the gap between the seat and blank then doing an epoxy ramp. I just personally hate foregrips, and want my hand directly on the blank.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 12:16PM

There are a couple of options for no foregrip winding checks
1. The Fuji WCS winding check for SK2 seats. [www.mudhole.com]
2. A tapered rubber vinyl winding check. [www.mudhole.com]
They will fit the Aero reel seat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 12:20PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-255-9.myvzw.com)
Date: January 11, 2019 06:02AM

Josh, if you are going to the plumbing store, look at 1/4L faucet washers. They fit a size 16 reel seat perfectly and would make an easy transition for an epoxy ramp.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2019 07:31PM

Josh here is a photo of a. 16mm Aero Comfort grip using a Winn SP275 split grip and I used the 2.5 in Winn Butt cap with it.

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster