I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cheap fly rod build questions
Posted by: josh keller (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 10:58AM

hey guys, i have a private section of native brook trout river on my hunting property, and want to build a cheap rod to leave in the cabin for the few times a year i fish it. The stream is extremely thick, 10 ft wide mostly, and loaded with native brookies that are 4 - 12 inches long. I currently have a 7-6 4 weight, and its a bit to much in most places. Can I get a 7 ft 2 weight blank, and cut 6 - 12 inches off the butt and still make a serviceable rod?

this is the cheap kit im looking into - I would just get a cheapo kit from cabelas, but id like to make it and practice.

[]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cheap fly rod build questions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 12:04PM

Josh,
Go to Bingham Ent. and get the SHX 6 1/2 ft. blank and everything else there also, gret people, great value.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 12:08PM

Do a search for "Tenkara fly rods". I think they would be perfect for your situation - and very inexpensive, too.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 12:43PM

Josh,
I doubt a Tenkara outfit, due to it's length, will fit your needs.
Most ultralight spinning rods will cast a 4 or 5 weight decently and you can find a length short enough and inexpensive enough for your needs.
The heavier line will make short roll casts easier just try to find a faster action rod. This will also aid in "tunnel" fishing a small stream.

Gene

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 12:57PM

The blank Spencer is recommending is an actual designed blank, ;not a cobble job that might work and might not. Only $30 with very little risk. I don't think it gets much better than that.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 03:07PM

Batson makes a 2 piece 6 1/2 foot 2 weight that would do nicely for your purposes.. Anglers Workshop a supplier on the left has it listed for $35.00.

I have built a number of these in the 4pc version for customers for exactly the same use, small streams, small trout, and they really like them.

Date: January 06, 2019 04:22PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Batson makes a 2 piece 6 1/2 foot 2 weight that
> would do nicely for your purposes.. Anglers
> Workshop a supplier on the left has it listed for
> $35.00.
>
> I have built a number of these in the 4pc version
> for customers for exactly the same use, small
> streams, small trout, and they really like them.

how do you feel this would throw a 3 wt line?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 04:43PM

The Batson blank will throw a 3wt fine as long as your not going for long distances which would overload it. For the size fish and stream you described a 2wt is also very good.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 06:10PM

For the short distances of a small stream a 3wt line is probably better than a 2. Most fly rods are higher power than advertised.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 11:01PM

Since it sounds like you don’t need a multi piece fly rod for transport, how about a 1 piece e glass blank like the Batson SPG 780 for around $18. I have heard that is makes a very good 3/4 weight fly rod. Brook trout will hit decent size flies and when the wind picks up I would rather have a 3 that can handle a 4 line vs a 2 weight.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2019 07:15AM

Josh,
I am going to recommend a Fiberglass blank, there are plenty of manufacturers that make blanks from 6', 6-6" and 7' in 2 to 4wt. You can find price point blanks to higher end in what you are looking for. My personal go to rod for the type of water you are fishing is a Steffen Brothers 6' 2/3wt 2pc. I like it with a DT3 line, it does work just fine with a DT2 also, I fish dries and wets mostly with this rod, although in a pinch I can lob a small wolly bugger with it.

Fiberglass rods with their slower actions really excel in short distance casting compared to a carbon rod in my opinion.

Date: January 07, 2019 11:41AM

I like the looks of that batson glass blank - that's exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a general snake guide size and amount I should use for this project?

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 02:33PM

7 snake guides should be enough but certainly 8 tops. An 8mm carbide or chrome stripper guide going to a 1 size snake then progressively down to 2/0 near the tip such as 2 1s,2 1/0 and 3 or 4 2/0s. Or non conventional would be 6 or 7 2/0s going to a 1 then stripper.

If you look up Tadpole fly rods in fiberhlassflyrodders I believe there are several post about the Batson SPG builds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 08:26PM by David Miller.

Date: January 07, 2019 06:20PM

great advice guys, thanks. the blank and components have been ordered. I decided to go with single foot guides, simple to reduce my wraps in half. this rod is going to live in a cabin three hours away 362 days a year anyways.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster