I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting Started
Posted by: Todd Castrinoes (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 10:50AM

Hi I am doing research on tooling to get started in rod building. This is not something that I want to do as a profession but just as a hobby for my self. I am an avid wood worker and have some hand eye coordination skills, I spend about 60 days a year on the water fishing and had an Aha moment a few weeks ago after receiving a new center pin fishing reels as a gift. I have been online looking at the tooling and was hoping to get some advice, once again only at a hobbies level but do plan on doing this for many years so I am looking for middle of the road. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thx Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting Started
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 01:39PM

Avid wood worker, so you can build your own hand wrapper. They're very simple to build. What I did was look at the various hand wrappers available and I built mine with some of this and some of that, from each one. I personally would either build or buy a rod dryer. You can build your own using a rotisserie motor from an old microwave, or you can buy the parts at somewhere like Mud Hole, and fashion your own. Once again, it's very simple to make your own. You can get a lot of the miscellaneous kind of stuff from craft stores. Mixing sticks, single sided razor blades, brushes for applying etc ...

I personally would get one of the kits that contain a burnishing tool, a pair of snips, and a thread pick. They're cheap and economical and will come in handy. A roll of masking tape. Other than thread, thread finish, (I'd suggest buying it in smaller quantities since you will have it around for a while and it will yellow, so you aren't throwing out good finish) rod bond (it's an epoxy for gluing up reel seats, grips, and the like .... and some Isopropyl alcohol 90% or better to clean up your mess, and you're good to go.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 02:55PM

David above gives you some good basic information, and I agree with the idea of starting by building you own hand wrapper. If you unhide your email, I can send you a photo of my latest version (#6).

It is also easy to start with a rod kit so to learn some of the building process.

Additionally, there are lots of videos online that you can watch can an idea of the whole process, as well as the tools and their uses.

Posted by: Todd Castrinoes (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 06:16PM

Phil/ Dave,

I changed my settings, it should be unlocked. That’s why I went on this forum, it did not cross my mind to build one myself. I would appreciate any photo’s of ideas. Thanks again for the advise!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster