I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Highest Quality Cork Handles?
Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 06:10PM

Wondering who sells the best cork handles around 14" for a steelhead rod. I have used the Batson handles and while the quality is good in the super grade handles it is still far more expensive than the super grade handles I see on Mudhole. So I guess I'm wondering if the handles of Mudhole are of very high quality as well.

I have always thought Loomis had the nicest handles like on their old IMXs, so I guess thats the kind of cork I'm looking for. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Highest Quality Cork Handles?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 07:24PM

Unless you buy the best cork rings you can get - you will get inferior stuff with filler.
You can't buy cork as good as it was in "the day". It doesn't exist.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2018 07:33PM

Really, really, really great cork is available at the Expo each year. And each year, vendors end up carrying most of it back home. There was cork there last year that was as close to perfect as I have seen in 40 years of doing this. And it was less than $2 per ring.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 07:49PM

Well sadly I'm a long ways from making my own handles... So thats pretty rough!

I must say tho the super grade cork from Batson is as good as I could ever want, I was just wondering if there was anything else comparable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2018 07:50PM by Denham Bruce.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 09:54PM

Angler's Workshop used to have cork grips of good quality made in Portugal, even used to go over and select their stock. This also let them make cork in sizes you don't always see, they have both longer and larger diameter pre-formed grips.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 03:08PM

At 55.00 list (Utmost) for a Batson grip, or Spencer's suggestion (somewhat less it would appear), or Get Bit, vs $2 a ring and you have to make it, You make the call.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 03:49PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 08:07PM

At $2.00 a ring a 14" grip has $56.00 in cork before you even start.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 07:19PM

I love making my own cork handles and grips it's one of the most enjoyable things in rod building. I order my cork from cork4us but since it comes from Portugal I ordered a large quantity and haven't ordered any for about 4 years. I only build about 5 rods a year. The quality is fantastic and the price was reasonable even with shipping I am going to order some more this year.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 09:21PM

Paul, where do you learn what their prices are? Rather unique website.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 10:13PM

While the pre-made handles look great at a distance, if you look closely you'll find that they are filled. At least that is what I have found. The best looking cork IMHO is found on some burl cork rings that have a mix of large and small chunks. They look great with something like Tru Oil on them, or really beautiful with wrap epoxy on them. Use split grips and the weight difference will be somewhat offset and the cost will be lower.

Some burl with uniform chunk sizes looks like "particle board: or cheap cork you'd buy for lining tool boxes.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 10:22PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:44PM

Yeah their website is very confusing! I have a pdf file that I got from them threw FB messenger. You can get a catalog the same way.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster