I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Square bill blank
Posted by: Luke Nicholson (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2018 03:27PM

So last year my sweet little daughter accidentally snap my favorite sq. bill rod in the car door. So I’m going to build another one to replace the existing quantum kvd series. I was looking at the rod geeks S glass series and wondering if anyone has experience with these blanks? If there are other blanks that you prefer over the rod geeks I would love to hear more opinions. Thanks guys for the input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Square bill blank
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2018 03:44PM

I know nothing of Rod Geek blanks, or any other kind of aftermarket crankbait blank other than the Rainshadow RX7 (now Revelation) crankbait blanks. I built a rod specifically for throwing squarebills into wood cover. I built it on a CB66MH. I trimmed 6" off the butt to make accurate casting more easy. I absolutely LOVE it. It's light weight, casts great, and has a beautifully smooth action when under the load of a fish.

The only fish I've ever lost on it is when I've used it to throw buzz baits for smallmouth bass. Even then 2 lost fish come to mind. Otherwise I've never lost a fish on a treble hooked bait with it. Crankbait or topwater.

Posted by: herb canter (77.111.246.---)
Date: December 29, 2018 04:40PM

Look for reviews on St. Croix's S Glass blanks and you can believe the Rodgeeks blanks will be essentially the same except for their considerably lower price. I bought two Rodgeeks blanks awhile back and can confirm they are identical in every way to St. Croixs models with the exception of color options and price.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 11:57PM

The S-glass Seeker SBS-706 is an awesome squarebill blank, well regarded for a long time in bass circles.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2018 11:45AM

I would check out the North Fork Composites Delta hybrid blanks either the 704 or 705 depending on the lure weights or fishing in cover. Pretty positive that these are the same blanks used in Kistler's Feel n Reel rods. They are still 65% off with free ship as of now.

Date: December 30, 2018 05:52PM

David makes a great point about those NFC Delta blanks since people rave about them and they're priced to sell right now , could be an ideal choice.

Date: December 30, 2018 07:32PM

Shipping isn’t free.... anybody have a code?

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2018 08:30PM

That is odd, I just ordered some carbon fiber grips a few days ago and the shipping was free.

Date: December 30, 2018 09:18PM

I went to check out and it added shipping for 35.00

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: December 30, 2018 09:42PM

I’ve built a RODGeeks B468MMF for topwater/jerkbaits and built a B4711XHF for swimbaits. They have a 7’3” B473MM designed for square bills that weighs 1.7oz. I used square bills on my B468MMF and it has enough back bone to handle any bass with ease. This is my go to rod company unless I find something on sale.

I haven’t used any of RODGeeks glass blanks but I would be confident they’d be great too. I did buy a NFC Delta 705 I’m building for chatterbaits and if it wasn’t on sale I would have bought a RODGeeks glass 7’ MHM. The NFC 705 has a butt that is .71mm and a size 7 tip when the RODGeeks equivalent is .58mm and a 5.5 tip. But for the sales price I don’t regret the NFC purchase, Under $50 to my door. I also picked up a delta 703 and a SJ 706 for later builds.

Hope this helps.

Date: December 30, 2018 11:39PM

I wish they had free shipping iI would get a couple more blanks.

Date: December 30, 2018 11:48PM

Luke Nicholson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish they had free shipping iI would get a
> couple more blanks.

I'm with you 100% on that one , iv'e scrapped a ton of potential purchases due to the added shipping cost not just on blanks but components also , i'm on a fixed income so every dollar is a big deal to me.

Date: December 31, 2018 10:31AM

I know I was on Mudhole last night and I got a tip top and shipping was more expensive then my purchase

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: December 31, 2018 11:51AM

Free Shipping and the 65% off NFC is a no brainer. The NFC SJ706 blank I got is going to be a jig and pig rod and I have to say it’s nice. It also amazes me that at this low cost they still make a profit, insane how much markup there is.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2018 12:42PM

Not so sure they are making a profit.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: December 31, 2018 03:14PM

The price of shipping one or five blanks is the same, I've shipped up to 10 on the same nickel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2018 03:15PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 31, 2018 05:06PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The price of shipping one or five blanks is the
> same, I've shipped up to 10 on the same nickel.

Now we're talking , you hear that Luke , 10 blanks shipped for a nickel , even i can't argue when shipping is a nickel . Thats what i call reasonable. In all seriousness most people don't buy more than one blank at a time, ( Except during 65% off sales) but the fact that the shipping is the same is noteworthy.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 01, 2019 03:07AM

Check out the Phenix crankbait line the x11 should work well.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 07:10PM

Luke you are right on target with the Rod Geeks S glass blanks. The first year they were in business I bought almost 15 of them. I have a good number of tournament bass anglers using their S Glass for not only crank baits but also chatter baits. The best news is the feedback I get is that they love them and don't lose the fish on the way back to the boat.

For square bill you can go with either the SG70MM or the SG70MHM, personally I use the 70MM for the square bill unless I am in heavy cover then go up to the 70MHM. These rods have been flawless in design and performance. Not to mention that you can have it in raw carbon or any one of thirty color combos or clear coated.

At a fishing seminar I was able to show the crank bait master himself David Fritts my RG 270MHM and after he checked out the rod blank he said it was PERFECT in power and action, so that was good enough for me.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 07:54PM

A while back, Tom Wewerka convinced me to try the RodGeeks S glass banks for crank bait rods. I picked up several, and all I can say is Thank you Tom, they really do make great crankbait Rods. They were a lot lighter than I expected. Made them from 7’ to 7’ 11” I’m sort of partial to the 7’ MMH as an all around shallow water crank bait rod.
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster