I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pike/Musky Rod Split Grips
Posted by: Brian Cheung (209.171.88.---)
Date: December 29, 2018 02:38PM

Hi everyone, thanks to your help I finished my bass rod and I'm trying to get my next rod figured out. I bought a phenix m1 inshore 7'11 ml blank (1-3 oz lure) that I plan on using for 1.8 oz jointed glide baits that I paint. I'm having difficulty finding split grips that fit with it, a lot of the split grips I see seem pretty short and small and meant more for bass rods. The butt section is around 0.560" and the foreground section is around 0.50". What do you guys use for split grip set ups on pike or musky rods? Hoping to find something that is cork with some rubberized cork rings in there for contrast.

I'll be pairing it with a Fuji ecsm 17 reel seat but open to other suggestions as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pike/Musky Rod Split Grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 11:57PM

Brian,
Can you build a grip yourself?

If not, perhaps you have a nearby rod builder who makes grips, could help you out.

------------
Remember, you could always pick up a conventional grip and then cut it to the length you want - if you want a split grip.

However, I personally have no interest in using a split grip on a musky or pike rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 12:08AM

4 inch grips aren't long enough? Split grips were designed to minimize cork use and to be no longer than necessary to rest your hand on 2 1/2" was all I've every needed on any of my rods, bass or otherwise. I install a full grip more often than split grips, splits aren't always appropriate.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 09:13AM

Looked at Winn grips? They are used on many heavier duty rods. If you're looking for the cork look, they obviously won't be for you, but they do work very well. Much better grip than cork under all conditions (wet/cold especially).

Posted by: Brian Cheung (142.120.150.---)
Date: December 30, 2018 10:00AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian,
> Can you build a grip yourself?
>
> If not, perhaps you have a nearby rod builder who
> makes grips, could help you out.
>
I've never built one myself but I have a friend who has a lathe that i can try to learn how to use. I'm in Toronto, Canada and I'm not sure if there's any builders around that can help me

Date: December 30, 2018 10:05AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> 4 inch grips aren't long enough? Split grips were
> designed to minimize cork use and to be no longer
> than necessary to rest your hand on 2 1/2" was all
> I've every needed on any of my rods, bass or
> otherwise. I install a full grip more often than
> split grips, splits aren't always appropriate.

The 4" is okay but the largest I can find in the fighting butt is around 2.5" and it just looks kind of weird with the spacing in between. On my St Croix Musky Rods both the fighting butt is 3.5" and split grip by the reel seat is just slightly over 4" each and they have a larger diameter than the grip I bought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 10:19AM by Brian Cheung.

Date: December 30, 2018 10:06AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> Looked at Winn grips? They are used on many
> heavier duty rods. If you're looking for the cork
> look, they obviously won't be for you, but they do
> work very well. Much better grip than cork under
> all conditions (wet/cold especially).

Yeah I built one rod with winn grips and one with carbon fibre handles so I'm just looking for something different to try this time. I'll look into them and see if they're more suitable for this application thanks!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 10:10AM

Do an internet search for "Toronto, Ontario custom rod builder"

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 12:59PM

Use a 4 inch grip as your butt grip, there are no rules to what you use and where, I've seen the longer foregrips also used.

Posted by: Brian Cheung (209.171.88.---)
Date: December 30, 2018 04:34PM

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to end up doing thanks guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster